Author Topic: i got a problem  (Read 967 times)

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
i got a problem
« on: August 20, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
this has got to do with arrow flight so i posted it on the pow wow, but they told me to ask here since this is a home made bow. the problem is, last week i took on the task of making my string loops "right". i figured that while i was at it i would make the limbs a little narrower to reduce the draw weight. this all went well and it looked pretty good also. the problem came when i began shooting. the arrow fight was horrible. it looked like i grabbed it by the fletchings  and threw it like a baseball. i figured maybe i needed to change the nocking point, so i did and it helped. the problem then was that the nock was sitting about an inch above the arrow rest, and when i nocked and arrow it looked rediculous. so i got the tape measure out and found that i had made the top limb stiffer that the bottom. that was no big deal just means that i had to do some sanding. well did the sanding and got the bottom stiffer by a good 1/8 at the fades. shot it tonight and it still shooting like crap. what gives? any help would be greatly appreciated. forgot to mention that the arrows are too stiff for the bow. i knew this going into, but they weren't shooting near this bad to begin with.
thanks, eric

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: i got a problem
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
If you sanded much and still have good tiller,you most likely lowered #age enough to go from borderline stiff to really stiff. Got any heavier points?
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
that was kinda what i thought.  truth is they were probably way stiff to begin with. i just haven't gotten arrows for this bow yet. still trying to decide which direction i want to go with my arrow set up. did not mention before, but the fletched end of the arrow goes down off the bow, and then up. not side to side. is it possible that the arrow is causing this?
thanks, eric

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 11:38:00 PM »
For most selfbows you want arrows about 10# lighter in spine than the draw weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
If you're still having the same problem after matching up your arrows then check for string alignment. That'e one of the major causes of erratic flight in these selfbows (if that's what you're referring to). One or both limbs twisting when drawn and released with will have a similar effect. And as you've noticed, if your string nock has to be set higher than 1/2" (on average, up to a 28" draw length) then you have a tillering issue. Good luck.

ART B

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
The up and down motion is a nock issue while the side to side motion is fishtailing. Corkscrewing is combination of those problems. See Selfbow Care and Tuning  on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
This is a recurve glass bow, and since he corrected the tiller, I think his main problem is overly stiff arrows.

Barry
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
"but the fletched end of the arrow goes down off the bow, and then up."

My wild guess is more limber arrows  and raise the nock a bit, Eric. JMHO
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
i'm gonna post pics as soon as i get some batteries, but what are some reasons as to why my nock point needs to be so high. it looks stupid. the arrow is only touching rest right at the very front. i'll post pics later. this is beginning to anger me cause i can't figure it out. it maybe a problem with the stiff arrow, but from what i've read a left to right motion is more an indication of a too stiff arrow. my arrows are going up and down. thanks for the help so far.
eric

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Eric, it may be you've gone past the sweet spot and are getting a false reading.

How is the tiller on your bow now?

Do you shoot split or 3under?

Hard to answer without bein there!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
"the arrow is only touching rest right at the very front"

It may be your string doesn't line up in the center of the handle. It can be off a little, but if the arrow only touches the back of the bow on the rest, the string is way off. If the bow torques in your hand when drawn that is one indicator. The reason your arrows don't act heavy or over spined is they probably don't even hit the side plate. String the bow with about a 1" brace height and see where it is in the handle.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
kenny i'm not exactly sure i know what you are calling tiller, but if you are referring to the limbs bending equally, then they are real close. i measured from the very end of the fade to the string, while it was strung. the bottom limb is 1/8 in closer to the string than the top limb. before it was the other way around. i shoot split.
dano, my wording may have been misleading when i said front i meant that it just touches right at the edge of the back of the bow. i'll post pics as soon as i can maybe they will clear things up.
thanks so much for the help so far, eric

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
The back of the bow faces away from you, the belly of the bow faces you. If the arrow touches the belly side of the arrow pass, the arrow will fish tail side to side. If it touches the back side, God knows what the arrow will do.

String the bow with about a 1" brace height and see where it is in the handle.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
1/8" positive sounds good.

How about laying the strung bow on a sheet of paper,and marking one limb and string,then flip end for end to compare limb bend on marks? Line up the string on the mark and it should show differences.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 06:18:00 PM »
dano, thats the only way i can make it shoot strait. if i lower the nock point it waves up and down.
kenny, draw the whole limb all the way to the fades?

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
Yep,clear to centerline of bow.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
ok i'll give this a shot a little later this evening. it's my aunts 40th birthday, so we are having her a party. maybe tommorow before i get to try it.
thanks, eric

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
alright i got some pics together. the first one shows how high i have to nock the arrow to get it to shoot straight. and another pic of where it hits the rest.http://s561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/eman614/?action=view¤t=bowpictures123.jpg" target="_blank">http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss60/eman614/bowpictures123.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> this next pit is of the outline you suggested i do kenny. the colored in line is the lower limb. here's one more to show it a bit more clearly

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Don't look too bad on the limbs to me.

Here is some pics to compare to,they took em to photoshop and flipflopped the pic to compare,just scroll down...

http://www.piratesofarchery.net/bb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7790&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10

I have had to run my nock that high on a couple d/r longbows,I also cut my shelf a lot lower in front than that bow and leave a high spot right above the low part of the grip.

here is an example...

How much above square are you there with the arrow? I've heard of folks going up to 3/4" above sq.

Shooting low wrist vs high might make a diff also.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
kenny, it's about 5/8 in above square. it looks alot worse than that to  me. is this a problem with the way that i built the bow, or does it just happen? if i were to cut the front of the rest so it angled down a bit would that also allow me to lower the nock point?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©