Author Topic: Heat box length?  (Read 369 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Heat box length?
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:02:00 AM »
I have some 1/2" plywood that is 75" long and I was thinking, which sometimes gets me into trouble  :)  , would this be long enough for a heat box. I don't make bow longer than 70 inches so is there a reason to make a box longer? Thanks for any feedback, Don

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heat box length?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:46:00 AM »
If you end up drying staves or bamboo a little extra length comes in handy.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
if building glass bows the plywood form would  have to fit in the box also fiberglass comes in 72 inch lengths, If for self bows then I guess it would depend on stave lengths. When I built mine I had to buy plywood so I made it 78 inches long. I think you would be ok, but you could lay a piece of the 75 in ply on your bench and lay some materials on it to see if it is long enough for you. I built mine for glass bows to the Bingham Projects specs and put castors under it.  I built a stand up hot box with a single light bulb and small fan in 1994 for staves and made it 24x24x84, it seemed to work fine for  boards,billets and staves.

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 04:24:00 PM »
Thanks Eric and Robert, I didn't think about staves and boo or a plywood form. I think I'll get a whole piece of plywood and go 84".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©