Author Topic: Heat tempering my locust bow  (Read 442 times)

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
Heat tempering my locust bow
« on: August 31, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
Boy, I've had a lot of questions lately  :p . I really appricate the help you guys are giving me. I made a bow out of a locust tree we cut in the back yard and it came out at 30 lbs. so I decided to heat temper it and see how much weight I could add. I cooked it till it was a dark brown, well almost black. Two questions. Is there a quick wat to rehydrate or do I need some patients for 10 days. Also, can I sand the belly to get some of the color out without losing ant weight.Thanks again, Don

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Heat tempering my locust bow
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »
Depending on the R/H in your area a week should be enough. The wood has to absorb the moisture, you can't force it in. You can sand down the "loose" char on the belly without reducing any weight but not all the color.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 12:26:00 PM »
Thanks Pat, It is about like NC here. I may ere on the safe side and give it about 10 days. I was hoping I could clean the belly up a little. Thanks, Don

Offline Don Armstrong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Well, I took it out of the form today. NOT GOOD. When heating I didn't notice the heat was going under my form and the back has some pretty bad char like the belly. This one will probably go boom when I try it. Next time I will temper and then put it in my form. Lessons are lurned the hard way some times. Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©