Author Topic: cheap effective bench?  (Read 968 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
cheap effective bench?
« on: September 13, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
So I have no vice, do have a couple of saw horses...and a bunch of C clamps here at the house.   Trying to finishing a BBO blank I've had for to long and need to finish but I dont have a bench and atleast for now dont have the money to buy/make one.  Idears?  

I was thinking of staying late after work and using the shop vise which shouldnt be to much of a problem till I get things bending.   Was going to make a tiller tree and sheetrock screw it to the wall in the garage (hoping it wont pull out)...so after the inital facets are cut, I'll need to figure out a better way to work on things at home.  Thought about the kitchen table...it's not sturdy enough.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: cheap effective bench?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
hmm..got a snowmachine trailer I could swing around and use the back end of for now.  payday isnt till friday and money's still going to be tight for awhile so I need to figure this one out as cheaply as possible.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
I am not sure if you have a local Craigslist.com site in Alaska, but if you do, you might find a cheap vise there.  Here is my cheap little bench.  I built it out of scrap lumber and some casters that I had laying around.  I have since added a bottom for storage and a Craftsman bench vise that I picked up at a yard sale for $5.  I also bought a Craftsman belt/disc sander for $20 at the same sale.  Jackpot.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline toolslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
Heck I live in a one bedroom apt. I set up two sawhorses on the porch with a 2x6 across them and screw one end to the wall. That's when I'm at home.I travel for work and when I am in a motel room I just kneel on the riser and scrape away.
It hung in the sky in exactly the same way bricks don't.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »
lol tool...not so sure my easily irritated land loads wife would love..I know he would though hehe.

Thanks scrub..dunno why I didnt think to look on craigslist for a small vise...found some plans I had stored on the computer for who knows when on a bench with a regular vise mounted on it...good stuff, easy to make and I should have access to MOST of what I need minus the 2x12x12'

Offline toolslinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Yeah I always have to look over my shoulder to make sure the wrong maint. man ain't watchin.
It hung in the sky in exactly the same way bricks don't.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 03:45:00 PM »
I have worked on a couple of BBO's by using kwick grip clamps, and holding it to a 4X4 post laid on saw horses. You have to move them around here and there to support the limbs the way you want, but it's easy to do. Just make sure you pad your clamps!
Is this your first BBO? What profile?
Got wood? - Tom

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Tom,

yes, they are dryad blanks.  Have had them awhile..maybe too long.  

I have a bunch of osage and some bamboo slats...was hoping one of the dryad blanks would turn out..my old man keeps asking I figure it's about time I build him something so he can shoot.  I dont think he'll have much time (farmer as a second job which leaves little time), but he wants one.  Working on a pair of 10 ga flintlock fowlers, one for him one for me..turkey guns  :D   Need to finish them this winter also.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
ok so payday is here...I've been watching..nothing's jumping out.

I can build a bowhorse if I wanted..or I can go buy or build some kind of bench and get a vise.  Or the bench vise.

Idears?  thoughts?   What would be the best (and not TOO exspensive) bow building combination.  Right now it'll all be wood stuff, mostly bbo's though I do have a couple staves I'd like to work this winter also.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
A simple bench with a good 4" vice at the end works real well. Get a good vice, it's worth the investment.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
I love my bowyers bench but use it only for tillering. I have a good vice that is bolted to my work table(bolted to block wall) and it is perfect for removing bark and sapwood(when needed), for chasing a ring and for clamping bow staves to a caul when heat treating bending and straightening. Before I built my bowyers bench I used the work bench vice for everything. So if I had a choice of one it would be the work bench and a good vice; more versatile!
  Being in AK you are limited to working inside most of the year but when the weather allows working outside is great. You can mount a post in the ground and mount the vice on top. This is ideal for bow working because you can work all around the bow. With a vice attached to a work bench you have limited access to all portions of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 02:19:00 PM »
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Hey Dano, you talking about a bench like Shauns in the first link?  Johns pics (and home page) are not working.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
was surfing, found John posted I think the same thing on the other site...saved it to the computer dont remember how in sam heck to post pics haha...man I'm gettn old fast ugg!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »

there we go....is that the one you're thinking of?

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
Yep, that's the ticket   :bigsmyl:

I like Shaun's with the storage in the bottom, and the legs look real sturdy.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
well got the wood and the vise for it...woods cut and ready to go....off to the geeeerage woot woot!

The box can be an easy addition..have a bunch of 2x4's laying around the shop at work I can use.  Forgot, I need a tiller tree...more searching to do for info and plans tonight  :)

Offline canid song

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
i use quick grip clamps and a patio railing as often as not.

i don't own a draw-knife and make much use of planes and a stanley rasp. this also requires shuffling the clamps around a bit, but works for me.
Sailing the high sierras.

Offline Doug A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
I would suggest mounting the vice off center on that bench, based on your preferred hand.  Mount it right of center if you are right handed and vice versa.  I learned that the hard way and now have two sets of holes in my bench.  Even though it is a basic design, it is sturdy and comfortable to work on.
Member UBNJ, TANJ

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Doug, thanks for the tip.

I have that bench made, vise is mounted and read to go.  Have Steve H's and Ben Pinney's stuff in the garage so I cant really move a sled around too much to get my tiller tree screwed to the wall, maybe tonight.  

I dont have any fire hose pieces, but I'm looking for a good way to pad the jaws?   We have some big water pumps here at work, they're not quite as thick as a fire hose (rubber inside) and I'm worried they wont have enough to keep the jaws from digging.  Steve before leaving for caribou mentioned pulling the screws off the jaws poking holes in a strip of leather, and screwing it down, then gluing a strip or two of leather over it..bad idear?   I've tried using wood blocks in the past (some soft cedar I had from a strip built canoe), what a pain in the butt!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©