Author Topic: Trying to fix a twist  (Read 511 times)

Offline longbow from LW

• Trad Bowhunter
Trying to fix a twist
« on: September 19, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
Well title says it all.  I have a yew longbow by Savora.  Gorgeous bow in the true American style, ala Schultz.  Lower limb wanders off to the right as you hold the bow belly up.  Quite a good bit too.  Brown glass if that matters at all.  To fix this do you sand the limb edge on the side it is pulling too?  Any advice etc. is appreciated.  keepem sharp and thanks
longbow

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trying to fix a twist
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
You should sand on the left side with the belly up.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline longbow from LW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Well that figures.  I sanded on the right side of the limb where it was pulling to.  Then I had to sand on the upper left side of the limb to bring it in correctly.  Pretty much dead nuts now, how's that for guessing!?  I thought that where the limb is pulling to is the side that is the strongest and the off side is the weakest?  Anyways it worked as the string now tracks pretty much dead straight down the center and the limbs came in nice.  thanks and keepem sharp

PS  tiller has not been affected either
longbow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Sanding is going to reduce the weight and throw the tiller off. I believe with glass bows you can use a small amount of heat to correct limb twist. One method I have read about is using the hot water in your shower to warm up the bow and a little torque in the opposite direction of the twist will reduce it or eliminate it. I've never tried this so take it for what it is worth.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbow from LW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Tiller is perfect, .125" positive on the bottom limb at the fadeouts.  This couldn't be straightened with hot water as I tried.  Definetly a torque thing some how when the bow was made.  But seeing how's the bowyer been dead for a good number of years and no chance of getting another I figured I'd try the sanding thing.  Like I said it seems to have worked very well.  keepem sharp
longbow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
"Tiller is perfect, .125" positive on the bottom limb at the fadeouts"

Most bows are tillered for positive upper limb. I know that's what you meant to say.   :rolleyes:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline longbow from LW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Final verdict, fixed perfectly!  String tracks nice and straight, lower limb is right on with the upper limb for that semblance of balance.  Shoots excellent too.  4 coats of a clear rustoleum matte finish made for wood etc and looks great.  A bit shocky on the release so am going to grab a couple of new strings and see if that makes a difference.  thanks for all the info, much appreciated.  keepem sharp
longbow

Offline longbow from LW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Ah tiller yep that is what I meant to say.  In other words the lower limb is stronger for the split fingers style.  Upper limb is weaker.  It sure does look good when I draw it and the limbs come in to compass.  Nice and even, well almost even, my son says the upper limb looks just a tiny bit more circular than the lower, ie lower looks a tiny bit stiffer.  Anyways proof is in the puddin and it shoots great.  thanks and keepem sharp

PS  brace height is 6" to the grip and a bit vibraty may go a bit higher but it looks like that where it should be according to me thumb
longbow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©