Author Topic: Need help  (Read 568 times)

Offline jfreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
jfreeman
Trad Gang Member
Member # 21380

posted September 20, 2009 06:04 PM                        
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a long bow and noticed the other day that the end tips were splitting, I have included the link to some pics. I am just getting into this sport. Dose anyone have any advice.....I live in Dawsonville GA. Is there anyone local who could repair this. I was told by a friend of mine that shooting a fast flight string with wooden tips caused this. He could repair this but he just had shoulder surgery. I would like to have this repaired before deer season is over. I have spent alot of time shooting and I am confindent I could get a deer this season. My plan was to become confindent with a longbow then learn to build and work on them. I am very handy but not ready to take on bow building or repairs without instructions or direction.
thanks
 http://picasaweb.google.com/j.kjfreeman/Bow?feat=directlink

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 08:59:00 AM »
o.k. I can't get that to work
Got wood? - Tom

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Jfreeman;

I had that countless times with softer tips. Especially zebrano overlays had troubles with ff. But I even had padouk splitting on me, but only on narrow nocks without sidegrooves (yet).

I suggest you sand your overlays off with the beltsander, glue on new overlays, made from harder materials. I've had great results with wengé, ipé, purpleheart, but also with horn. Bone, antler and other rock-hard woods will do the job aswell.

many glass 'ff-proof' bows have phenolic overlays. I haven't tried them, but you can't go wrong with phenolic.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Osage overlays?  The issue here isn't necessarily that FF was used with wood tips - been doing that for years.  The tip doesn't appear to be shaped very well.  It really needs to be a tear-drop shape with no sudden changes in direction to avoid stress risers.  That's not the case in that pic.  A low-stretch string with the loops padded will help avoid that type of damage too; larger diameter = stress spread over larger area.

Replace the overlays with micarta, phenolic or glass, shape them properly and you'll never have issues again.

If you look in the Collector's forum and the restoration 101 thread there are instructions for removing and replacing overlays.  That's a good start, but you'll have to go with a little thicker overlay
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
cow horn works real good
Got wood? - Tom

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Check out the dog chew section at petsmart, etc. Lots of good overlay options there. Pig hooves works well if you can get past the smell when grinding.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hermann From Bavaria

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
bulletwood (massaranduba) will work great!
in past even the future was better, so what do you want?

Offline jfreeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Thanks for the help.  I have some old deer antlers I will try. I will go with a different string also.  Again thank you

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©