Author Topic: My first cane arrows  (Read 674 times)

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
My first cane arrows
« on: September 26, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Just playing around with making some cane arrows. It's some cane I gathered off the ditch bank around here and the feathers came from a turkey a friend of mine killed and put em up for sale on the St. Judes auction.
 I don't have a spine tester so I come up with a very crude method of spine testing these. 5 of them shoot great outta my 50# selfbow and 1 is a far cry from shooting great. Drilled the point end out to 3/16" and inserted a 3/16 dial for added strength.
  I must admit I cheated a bit on these but I'm sure the trained eye will see that right off. I'm sure you'll spot the fletching tape and the super glue used over top the artificel sinew. I also cut my nocks so they would act like a snap nock. Hope ya'll don't think it was a sin to glue all this metal on the end of em. I have some obsidian points waiting for when I'm a little better at making cane arrows.
 I am very surprised at how straight you can get these and how well they shoot. Paul<><

Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first cane arrows
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »
Nice job Paul, there's no sin what so ever in making your own cane arrows. Cept maybe for plastic nocks    :biglaugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Nice arrows Paul. I also use super glue, fletch tape and artificial sinew on arrows. There is no sin with any of it not even the old Bear heads or field points. Just the fact you used cane for arrows is good enough!
  The one arrow that doesn't fly good, try flipping it over with the cock feather in and see if that helps. Many times that's all it will take.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Paul,
I think you did an awesome job....I really like them and they look super.

Rick

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
:clapper:  very very nice.  Maybe one day I can make myself a set.

Shawn

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 01:41:00 AM »
Those are some very good looking arrows Paul.  I hunt with cane or bamboo arrows all the time.

Gee Dano, I put a homemade luminock on one of my cane arrows last year.  Yeah, it did look kinda sinful on there but it looked coooooolll flyin' through the air.

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
those are som good lookin arrows,paul. you really gettin this stuff down. and pretty quick i might add.  :thumbsup:
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline kodiakkid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys. I am already straightening some more. These will be tipped with a couple matching obsidian points I have.
Always strive to do the right thing. Don't beat yourself down when you mess up. Ask for forgivness and keep on keeping on.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Kind of like eating chips huh Paul.

Dennis, as long as it was a homemade luminock.   :rolleyes:    :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 06:32:00 PM »
Nice lookin arrows! Where can  I find river cane? I live in Michigan and not sure if it grows here

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 06:50:00 PM »
You may have to buy or trade for some, it grows in the the southern states. I have found some in southern Missouri.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Those are sweet.  I especially like the old Bear greenies.  Using them on my carbons for this hunting season myself.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
awesome arrows!! those Broadheads look brutal! I want some of them even though hunting is illegal here  ;)  

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Went hiking down a trail on Taneycomo lake and it was loaded with rivercane.  I was in agony because it was a state park area and I couldn't cut some to take home.

Dennis

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Lee, it doesn't grow in Michigan or Indaina. Darn it!! I wish I could walk down to the nearby ditch a gather me a bunch of nice arrow shafts like that too!

A very nice Tradganger sent me some once though! And I still have some. What's the poundage of your bow Lee, maybe I have some that would work.

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
IT is a SIN to use fletch tape on cane arrows!  And the thought of artificial sinew makes my stomach feel like it is going to erupt!  And STEEL!  What are you thinkin man?  

Send them to me for proper disposal!     :bigsmyl:  

Nice job!
i LIKE UM.

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline hickry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
I LOVE those cane arrows... that's all I'm shooting now.  Try what Pat said... turning it over will likely change spine and very well may help you.  If it's flying left, you might add a little bit of a hardwood foreshaft... will increase weight up front and also give you a little extra length to help with too-high of spine.  If it's underspined... you may be able to shorten it a little?  Anyway... great arrows!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©