Author Topic: tiller opinion  (Read 1681 times)

Offline coulter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tiller opinion
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
thanks very much for all your help dano, you and pat have been very helpful i will try to shoot some arrows tomorrow. i will let you know how it goes.    noel

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Pat is good help ain't he.   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
I blinked and missed everything. Looking good and I agree with Dano...AGAIN!...shoot it!
  Learning to see tiller and to actually tiller well are very important for someone relatively new to wood bow building. Once you get that figured out you are ready for any type of bow you want to build.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline coulter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
thanks again guys!   noel

Offline coulter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
 hi guys! got a little bit of trouble, i noticed a little grain crack about 5" from the fade on the upper limb. i was wondering if this can be repaired or if the bow is scrap.    noel.   p.s. i still havent shot an arrow with it.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I had one do that, I CA'd the splinter and backed it with tissue paper. Held just fine.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
a bit of superglue and wrapping might be the proper cure. But you'd better wait untill other bowyers chime in. I've never used wooden backings, nor repaired anything similar.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline coulter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2009, 07:37:00 PM »
hi dano,hi nick,  dano im not sure what CA'd means, i was thinking along the lines of what nick said, some sort of wrap. but i've never done anything like this before so i am open to all instruction thanks.   noel

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
Regardless of how you do it, super glue (Cyanoacrylate)the splinter first. If it is a large splinter I'd wrap it, if it's small which it looks like it is, I'd back the bow, just to prevent any more lifting. It's a simple process, just like applying snake skins.

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »
Superglue the area and wrap with artifical sinew, twine, or dental floss.

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
yep, the backing might be a better idea. Some kind of Camo cloth would look good on this bow.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline coulter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2009, 06:59:00 AM »
thanks dano, i'll give it a shot this morning some time, i'll let you know how it goes. can i use tb3 for glueing the backing? thanks jesse & nick for your suggestions all you guys have been really helpful.     noel

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
coulter,

I would indeed try tb3, as it's waterresistant and a good glue.

Nick

Nick

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
I wrapped a crack like that with sinew and have no worries now.

Offline coulter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
thanks nick & BC, i just super glued it , i was going to back it with some silk ( i heard it does a good job.) but i think i might be better with some crazy glue and a wrap of nylon fishing line, let me know what you think.      noel

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
Really looks great, that one. Nice and simple.

Sorry for shortly hijacking the thread here, but now that we're talking about fixing cracks and such, I figured this would be better than starting an all new thread...

A few days ago, I cut down a dying juniper, and managed to get a good stave out of it. It has a groove about 2" long and a little less than 3/8" deep, running upside down. I intend to work the stave of course, which will probably minimize the depth. If I am to fill it out, what should I fill it with to minimize chance of breaking/splintering?

Thanks  ;)
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
coulter, I would just back it with the silk and leave the wrapping. but that's me. I rather have a dead bow than one with an astetically unpleasing wrap  ;)

Nick

Nick

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
Tiller looks very good. Add some super glue to the splinter. I'd wrap it with some art. sinew set in Duco. The wrap a colorful thread or some yarn on the top and bottom of that. Set that in glue too. Then do the same with the other limb in the corresponding part. It will look like a decoration. jawge

Offline coulter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2009, 09:45:00 PM »
hi nick,i dont think silk would hold it. this is the first bow i have almost finished(the last three blew up on me) so i would like to shoot some arrows out of this one. when i can make bows as good as you i can try to make them pretty. hi george, i already put some super glue on the splinter, can i use tb3 to do the wrap?    i would like to thank you and nick for your input i appreciate it.    noel

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2009, 09:06:00 AM »
I had a bow that was starting to crack near the handle glue joint. I CA'd it and wrapped it with sinew then put a snake skin around it just where the wrap was. I looked very cool! Of course I did the same to the other limb just to balance it out.

Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©