Author Topic: How do you "Trap" limbs????  (Read 647 times)

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How do you "Trap" limbs????
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
I built a recurve that came out about 5# heavier than I would have liked it. I am thinking of bringing the draw weight down now that the winter is approaching and a project sounds good. I have heard of "trapping" the limbs. Does that mean to bevel off the belly edge of the limbs? I was thinking of just sanding down the front and back of the limbs. The fronts of the limbs need the finish to be redone anyway. They got a little "ghosty" or cloudy.  Any suggestions? Thanks, David
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline OH Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you "Trap" limbs????
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
You could try sanding the belly and the back first to see if you're getting close to what you want.  Although, I didn't follow this advice on my own bow.  I just sanded about 1/16" off each side of the width the limbs on a bow I'm building and it lost 3 lbs.  I did this BEFORE tillering.  If you built the bow, you must understand the concepts involved.  I think I would do both, narrow the limbs a little and sand the surface.  You may have to re-check the tiller.

John
58" Recurve, 50# @ 29" (with a busted handle)
58" Recurve, 56# @ 29", Black Glass/Red Elm
68" Longbow, 61# @ 29" Bacote/Action Boo
68" Longbow, 60# @ 29" Red Elm/Red Elm

Offline Ryan Yoon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
Trapping limbs is when the cross section of the limb is made to look like a trapezoid so that there is less surface area on the back of the limb so the force of tension doesn't over power the belly. I've seen it done on bows backed with bamboo because that outer layer of boo is super strong in tension compared to many other woods. I hope that helps, I'm not the best at explaining things.
As for your over poundage problem I think the best thing to do would be to scrape or sand evenly over the both limbs till your desired draw weight is reached. It shouldn't take very much to get five pounds off and I wouldn't suggest taking wood off the back.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Since I want to respray the face of the limbs I think I'll sand the finish off. Then I'll sand the sides and the belly, recheck the tiller and the poundage. If that doesn't do it I'll take some of the sides off.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Find where they travel and den.  Any good leg (limb) hold trap will work.   :bigsmyl:
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
I guess your bow is all wood?? I have the Jack Harrison book for glass longbows ,Traditional Bowyer...if I remember correctly  he says he will not sand the back or belly glass to reduce weight, his experiance is that it robs the bow of preformance/cast. He traps his longbows like Black Widow traps their recurves,back narrower than belly. other bowyers trap the belly smaller than the back. I reduced a homemade recurve 5 pounds by reshaping the limbs, I sanded the edges 1/8 inch at the tip and tapered it down to the fade. I do not feel like I have the skills to trap at this time... I did not loose cast,I made the limbs and tips a little wide for the design??it was my first build.  I am still shooting the same arrows, in fact they are slightly weak now. I am hunting with this bow and took a deer with it yesterday afternoon. reducing weight and improving limb preformance turned a so so bow into a fine weapon

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
That thru me for a minute fletcher!,
Hey SNAG, you can loose a couple pounds just by taking the finish off. what is the bow? glas or wood?
Robert, congrats on the harvest.

I GOT TWO DAYS!!!!!
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »
I had once made a bow that was a bit to heavy with it's 130pounds@32". The solution was simple. I shot it, and liked it. A month later I liked it even more.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Nick, one day you will aches and pains and you will be shooting 50lbs like me!! Enjoy your youth, but respect your mind and body.  remember you will be 40 years old one day, no need to be 40 and feel and look like your 100..I will be 47 in October

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
Hi Chuck! It is clear glass, then a veneer of bol. rosewood with a core of bamboo and then the same on the other side.

The bitz jigs are working great! Thanks for your help.

Nick, I've been shooting it for months now! I don't shoot it as consistantly as I'd like to...the weight needs to come down.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I trapped the belly glass yesterday at about a 45 deg. angle. Didn't seem to reduce poundage much. I need to put it on a scale. But I think I will be taking some off the edges before this is all said and done.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »
Skinny up the back snag.
I am glad the jigs suit ya. let see some arras.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
P.S.
    when she drops it CAN come quick. go easy.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

~ Francis Chan

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 07:03:00 PM »

Here you go Chuck.......
This is the first arrow to come out of the bitz jig! It is a 4-4" shield. Love those quiet 4"ers!

Well, I filed a 45 degree edge off the back of the belly glass. Then I sanded the edge of the belly and front of the limbs. The tiller is good. No limb twisting. Shoots like it is in the upper 50# range now. I am going to weigh it soon. Sure feels better. I can shoot it a bunch and not have to work at it...better accuracy too!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©