Author Topic: Cracked Limb, need advice  (Read 393 times)

Offline steelerhead95

• Trad Bowhunter
Cracked Limb, need advice
« on: September 28, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am having a problem with my recurve, and this place was recommended to me by many people. I was told that all that you want to know about traditional bowshooting can be found here. I'm a novice trad shooter (recent compound convert). I have a colt firearms gamemaster recurve. It is pretty old as far as i know, it is 60 inches and 49#. I have been shooting it a lot lately, but after shooting yesterday i noticed some cracking on the upper limb. i'm not sure if it is a surface crack that I can deal with and keep using the bow, or if the bow is ruined. I really hope i can keep shooting the bow, because i cannot afford a new recurve now. I am trying to include some pictures, but I'm not a very good photographer and couldn't get a really great picture of the damage. if the damage is not going to damage the bow, can i stop it from spreading somehow? I would welcome and appreciate as much advice as possible about this problem. Thank you very much.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cracked Limb, need advice
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 03:42:00 AM »
Here's a copy of a post I posted a little while back...
Done a real smart one today. Dropped a stand on my bow from 15'.  
It looks worse in the pics but the glass is busted a little and the limb core boogered a little on the side about 1/8" deep from side to center the glass lam is seperated from the maple about 1" long by 1/8".
Can I fix this at home and how do I do it or do I need to send to a bowyer. Season starts in a couple of weeks and this is the only bow I have to hunt with until late Nov.
Here are some pics.
Direst link to pics. I couldn't figure out how to resize
 http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/Macscustomcalls/DSC00792.jpg
 http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af13/Macscustomcalls/DSC00793.jpg
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cracked Limb, need advice
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
Here's a copy of a pm a feller sent me with advice on how to fix it....

kris
it looks like you did a number on that bow!!but all is not lost--mask the glass w/masking tape--then get a decent clamp--c-type is probably best--then 2-pieces of stock--1/4-or-1/2"x2"x3"---enough to cover the damage and some of the undamaged limb--wrap the blocks w/saran wrap[so they don't stick to your bow!]
get every thing ready-then use thin super glue and saturate the damage letting it go in deepthem sqeeze it nice and tight[dont crush it--just good and tight]let it sit overnite--un clamp it--peel the masking tape-then carefully sand the core [edge]then put a drop of super glue on the damage and rub it in---sand again--when it looks good-rub some varnish in and let it cure--ive had this work more times than not--string it and let it set for a while--then try it slow pulling short draws at first then when your comfortable-come to full draw --listening for noises all the time--wear saftey glasses the first times your testing---this should work-it doesnt look too bad--good luck

I used super glue to fix mine and been shooting it everyday for for about two weeks or so, give or take a fewe days.
I used popsicle stick between the clamps and wax paper over them.
If it's not cracked to deep it can be fixed so don't freak out like I did... Just take a deep breath get your fixing stuff together and get after it. I used 180 sandpaper clean the damaged area glue it, sanded it, glued it, sanded it until it looked good and for the final I sanded it smooth and rubbed the heck out of it with steel wool #000. Put a little finish over it and WOW I was back in the saddle.
This weekend I skinned the bow with some canebrake rattler skins to cover the bad spot cause you could see it if you were really looking and it gave me a good excuse to skin it and it turned out great.
I'll post some pics of it when I get a chance.
Good luck and I'm sure some other's will give you some advice as well, Fine bunch of feller's here.
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©