Author Topic: moisure in ash self bow  (Read 520 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
moisure in ash self bow
« on: September 29, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
I just finished tillering an ash self bow that I made out of a tree killed by emerald ash bore. I did not know how long it had been dead but assumed it to be dry enough to make a bow out of. After tillering it i am convinced that it still contains moisture.

I have access to a perfect heating bow at work with heating lamps and temp controlls.

How hot should I heat it to dry it out and how long should I do it for?

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: moisure in ash self bow
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
LEE STICK IN IN THE BOX ABOUT 95 100  DO THOSE BOXES HAVE SMALL FANS ON EM ?  IF SO ID RUN IT ABOUT 90  LEAVE IT IN A WEEK OR 2  IF YA CAN WEIGHT THE BOW  BEFOR U DO THEN PUT IT  IN THE HOT BOX   WEIGH IT EVERY FEW DAYS   WHEN IT WEIGHS THE SAME 3 OR 4 TIMES IN A ROW STOPS LOSSING MOISTURE  IT S READY  BROCK
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 02:59:00 PM »
Maybe a good heat tempering on the belly would set you up nice. Leave it on the cull for 3-4 days after toasting and you should be good.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Two tracks, that sounds like somethin I would try. How would you go about doing it? I have a heat gun

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
LEE I WOULD TOO BUT ID MAKE SURE THE SUCKE R S DRY  BEFOR I TRYED TEMPERING IT  BROCK
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
Marc St. Louis wrote a chapter on heat treating/tempering in The Traditional Bowyers Bible Vol.4. If your going to be building bows you'll want a copy of the book anyhow.

The procedure is pretty simple, clamp your bow to a caul with a little bit of reflex and heat the limbs slowly till the wood begins to turn a toasted brown. But as Diamondback59 said you may want to make sure the bow is dry first or it could check badly.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©