Author Topic: making limbs  (Read 486 times)

Offline svenska

• Trad Bowhunter
making limbs
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
can't find limbs for my Bill Stewart recurve so I think I'll try to make a set. Any tips on books or other materials on instruction for building a set. I have a set that is too heavy for me to use as a form to make a mold but need info on lamination etc
Thanks

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: making limbs
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Binghams archery Projects has a good DVD I hear,and I have a bit on my site about form building,my info is for a 1 pc,but works on TD limb forms also...

http://kennyscustomarchery.com/Bow_forms.html

Give me a call or email if you want to,I might be able to answer your questions.

Good luck,we like pics!!  :D
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline limbcracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Binghams has a chart that tells you what thickness and width of materials to use to get specific draw weights for there bows, it may not be exactly the same, depending on the length of your riser and limbs, but it should get you close. it should be on their website, but if now order the catalog, they always print it on the back. Good luck. Kirk

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
If you have a set that is to heavy, same percent of thickness reduction as weight reduction. According to binghams.
      Mark

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »
Using bingham's chart assuming your current riser/limbs match thier chart will get you close, use .050 glass front/back and you can safely reduce weight by thinning the glass down .015 front and back if you need too, altho be VERY careful if you go that route..

Use the old limbs for your form, making the form is very easy and laminating the limbs a days project - and rewarding. Pay close attention to the bolt/pin holes and make sure you line them up correct, you can use the old limbs as a guide. Don't feel intimidated as its a easy process - just pay attention and go for it  :)  post pics too!

Offline svenska

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
thank you all. I'll check out the sources today and hopefully be able to get started within a week or so

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©