Author Topic: how to get rid of hand shock  (Read 535 times)

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
how to get rid of hand shock
« on: September 29, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
i am currently building a 64in tip to tip r/d laminated longbow for my uncle. to night i got it roughly to shape and decided to shoot it a couple of times. it really slings an arrow, but the hand shock is awful. the past two bows i built were both 62in and i trapped the limbs on them, and they both have very little shock what so ever. i intend to trap the limbs on this bow as well. just wondering if there is something else i can do to reduce the shock.
thanks, eric

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how to get rid of hand shock
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 08:24:00 AM »
If the limbs dont recover at the same time, you get alot of hand vibration. Put a limb tip protecter on one end then the other as you shoot it. If one way it looses some shock, you need to reduce the opposit limb to slow it down.  Theres other factors, but this is a good starting point if you have other bows built off of this form that work.
   Mark

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 08:44:00 AM »
thanks mark. i'll give that a shot.
eric

Offline eman614

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
i did like mark suggested, and found that if i put a limb protector on the bottom limb it helped. my question now is how do i lesson my top limb without messing up the tiller? the top limb is already bending 3/16" more that the bottom.
eric

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:31:00 AM »
If all it took was a limb protector on the bottom limb, then it won't take much to correct the tiller, and reduce the hand shock, 1/4" or more positive tiller isn't unusual. How wide are the tips?
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Limb tip mass is also a culprit as is light arrows. Both easily remedied.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
has anybody ever seen a SLOWMOTION of a bow being fired? The limbs aren't moving forward similtaniously, not at all!

yes, even on straight, symmetrical bows. But, imagine you'd be right, wouldn't a Yumi kick in the hand tremendously? well, it doesn't.

the big problem guys, is the wrong tiller/wrong frontprofile. If you want your outterlimbs to be wide, they should bend alot (or have alot of taper, 0.008 or even more in glass bows, wich will increase stacking, so you actually don't want this.

99.99% of all bows are designed for a normal tiller, and need narrow tips. This means 1/2" or even less. I like 3/8" on longer bows, some of my shorter ones have a tad under 1/2".

the latter is the solution I suggest. Narrow the outterlimbs/tips so they taper to 3/8" nocks and you lose most of your handshock.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
You are wise beyond your years Nick.
you have been given a few ideas about what can cause it and they all can be the culprit, Change one thing at a time and tweak your design, then you know what to do the next time. good luck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Ricker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
This  method is guaranteed to get rid of all hand shock.

:biglaugh:
Couldn't resist........

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 04:02:00 PM »
Yep , that'll work   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
yap but it'll increase the ankleslap.
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline mater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
like sombody said, take weight off farther out on the limb and it wont change your bend much at all. And this will bring down the mass, to speed it up a bit.
 And in theory, the weight of the limb protecter is all the weight you should have to take off. You can probably do that with the tip.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©