Author Topic: Oak for a form?  (Read 458 times)

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Oak for a form?
« on: October 02, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
I need a 1 1/2" thick form for my TD longbow. Any reason I couldn't use oak boards that are 3/4" actual thickness and laminate them together? This will be an air hose form.

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Oak for a form?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I have always been told to be sure and use dimensional lumber for molds and strong backs as they decrease the likelihood of the mold from warping.

Think of a wet board as it dries, it warps because the fibers shrink as moisture is evaporated.

Dimensional lumber has multiple layers of wood with the fibers running in multiple angles to the surface of the other layers. As they shrink the dimensional lumber pulls against itself and thus is less likely to warp.
Time is the crucible of a man's integrity.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
I hadn't considered the warping when it goes into the oven either on the boards so I am going to stick with the plywood.

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Having been a builder we always considered 2'x's as dimensional lumber, nominal as it is.
The way you could use the oak is if it were dry, thin, using mutiple layers, like plywood but not necessary as thin as those plys.  Probably be easier to use plywood, though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©