Author Topic: Piking a Riser?  (Read 436 times)

Online ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
Piking a Riser?
« on: October 03, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
I like my Dad's old 1960 Herter's Recurve.  Thing is it is 68" long with a 24" riser.  So I undertook to glean the some of the atributes of the bow and the riser but reduced the length, on paper, to 18".  Yes, there had to be various changes to compensate for the limb angle and such but I've got it to where it would be a more versatile weapon in the woods.  
That said, with the riser 6" shorter than the original but using the exact same limb length and design would / Here is my question / would the exact same limbs, tapers, fg lams and all, shoot with more draw weight?  I've effectively piked the bow's length but not from the tips.
What are your thoughts on this?

Offline limbcracker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Piking a Riser?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
Making the handle shorter should have the same effect on the limbs as a longer draw length would on the original bow - more draw weight, except the string angle will be more extreme, but that shouldn't matter with it still rather long for a recurve at 64". However the shorter bow may load up faster the last few inches of draw because you will be overdrawing the limbs compared to what they were designed for, so it may now be quite as smooth drawing as the original.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©