Author Topic: and she bends......updated on the short string  (Read 1217 times)

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
and she bends......updated on the short string
« on: October 03, 2009, 08:41:00 PM »
Well the left limb is still a tad stiff, but I'm running out of holes and I'd like to get to the short string.  so here she is.  Sorry for the shadow's, had the garage door open enjoying what few days left of "FALL" alaska has LOL!  

I did want to ask, what size round file for string grooves yall prefer?  The tip overlays are glued on already.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: and she bends......updated on the short string
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
A chain saw file works great. Don't rush the short string too much. I'd shorten up your long string and get the mid limbs bending a tad more brfore the short string. When you do go to a short string,don't string it with a brace nay higher than 3 or 4 inches. I hear ya a long winter is coming huh.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
I'd say to leave the middle 1/3 of the bow alone and work more on the mid to outer limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Pat, I was thinking that too..they still look pretty flat mid limb?

Gonna run to the hardware store....was going through some old stuff on the puter, I couldnt remember what size LOL!....boy I've read this stuff a zillion times, damn if I can remember any of it heh.

Dano...definatly will do!  Gotta work tomorrow (my monday), so I need to get the file or I'll have to run into the big town after work tomorrow ugg.   wait wait...I may have remembered something, some files I had tucked away for this jobs a couple years ago...now if everything wasnt in rubber maids uggg!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 11:06:00 PM »
ok a little more scraping...didnt go to town, found my tackle box in short order, complete with round files, and a triangle file which should help keep me striaght LOL.

Anyways, the left limb in this pic looks flat and the right one almost looks like too much bend near handle?   almost hingy?!?!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 02:52:00 AM »
well I had to do a little more tonight before I hit the sack.

It's bending a little more...the left limb still seems flat?  the right limb I found the hingey area using Eric's tiller gizmo.   On that right limb, about 7"es up from the tip I found this knot that has me concerned.  Actually saw it all along and thought I was going to get through it.  oops!  might have to do a Dean T's repair job?  Now if I could only find that article.  (and an extra piece of osage ugg)  

The hinge is on the right limb almost right smack mid limb...dunno how I missed it early on...but I can see now using the gizmo where I took too much wood off a 3" section or so.   It doesnt look like I have much bending near the fades though....what would be the order you'd go after?  Mid limb, tips then fades?  Anyways here's the last pic for the nite.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:54:00 AM »
oh and I figured out how to do a reverse picture...not sure how to overlay them, but wow it's almost embarassing, the one shown above looks ok (to me LOL), reversed it looks terrible!  not sure if things just are not level or if I'm that far out of whack shew!

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 04:49:00 AM »
AkDan, these fulldraws are useless without an unstrung picture. Sorry for being rude, but this tiller could be WAY off, or pretty much O.K.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 05:20:00 AM »
some stats could also be usefull. Woods, length, width, profile...
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
dutch, that is on the long string, I still dont have the short string on.   she's a bbo, headed to work, I'll get you width and length later on.

After seeing that pic now that I'm up again there looks to be litle to almost no change between the too...and here I was excited LOL!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
To me the right limb has a flat spot from mid limb out. How far are you pulling it on long string? I would put a short string on it and see where your at, the best way to miss draw weight is to spend too much time on long string.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
I wouldn't pull it any farther until you get the limbs even. Then go to a short string and see where you sit.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Dang I'm wrong again,   :confused:    "[dntthnk]"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
not completely, Dano. We are on the same thought process, just with different observations. I'm sure you remember not having any other option than you could come up with yourself. Having the luxury of other opinions is in the favor of the new bowyers today. Just think where we would be had we had all of this input long ago! d:^)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I hear ya Pat, the way I look at it is the limbs bend well enough, and to spend too much time on long string is way worse. Just my way of going about it.   :D

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
man I cant see the pics while I'm at work ugg...

Gotta say the tiller gizmo is pretty slickm.  I think I mounted my tiller tree to hit for this shorty LOL!  

So, I'll get the left limb bending some more, outer third and the right side from midlimb out?   I  know there's a bad spot right smack before it, huge gap difference using the gizmo....well huge to me  :D

how close to the tips do you want to get before you stop having them bend to much? I know the vid said 6"es (dryad, dont have a vcr anymore to watch Deans video again ugg!)  I marked it off at 6"es and have taken very little off past this.

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Akdan, it doesn't matter if it's a fulldraw, halfdraw or just a slight bend. the unstrung picture and the frontprofiel determine wether your tiller is good or bad. your pictures are useless without.

Nick

Nick

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
I usually leave the last 4" to 6" stiff, depending on the overall length of the bow. Leave the tips thick and later narrow them. This will reduce the physical weight without reducing the strength.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
np Nick..cant do much till I get home...well ran home for lunch real quick but dont have but a few minutes on duty days. I'll post an unstrung profile pic.  It's a dryad bow blank, Dean Torges style RD bbo, but off hand dont know the specs.

I did look at the spot I think was hingey on the right limb...It's almost exactly mid limb where I had marked not to remove wood from.

Ok...back to work for me..ugg!

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
here's the unstrung profile pic  

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©