Author Topic: Used bows: reducing bow weight  (Read 381 times)

Offline T.L

• Trad Bowhunter
Used bows: reducing bow weight
« on: October 06, 2009, 10:49:00 PM »
Hello all.

Does anyone have any experience with reducing bow weight on a used bow? There are some good buys in the classified section but most are about 7-10 pounds more than my preferred draw weight.

I was curious if anyone has ever tried reducing the weight on a used bow and if so, how much weight did they get off?

thanks,
 Tom.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Used bows: reducing bow weight
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
Tom,  Belcher bows (www.belcherbows.com) offers weight reduction, not sure how much they can take off though.  May be worth an email or call.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Used bows: reducing bow weight
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Tom getting 5 pounds off a long bow is pretty easy.
Recurves can be a little tricky.
On the longbows the easiest way is to reduce the width. sanding the faces will work well but it's hard to quantify what you've removed.

I usually start by just tapering the length of each limb side from the belly to the back sort of a trapezoid shape is left remove on the belly but not the back. do a small amount at a time then measure.
If more is needed then remove a little of the back edge. Always sand the edges smooth before drawing. A good large file is a good tool, with long strokes. Try not to run up and down hill.
I've removed as much as 12 pounds on the standard reflex deflex long bow. The fancier hybreds I wouldn't try for as much.
Ron
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©