Author Topic: Where do I start ?  (Read 596 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Where do I start ?
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
I have never built a bow but want to real bad...
I do have extensive woodworking experience and I am sure I can build bows. My question is... What resources do you guys reccomend for info? like what books and what information I can find and where to find it?
I know this site is a valuable resource for info but I am totally ignorant of the terms and such and where to really even start. I want build laminated bows but am also interested in all bows and bow design.
Thanks in advance, Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where do I start ?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
Don't know about laminated bows, but the TRADITIONAL BOWYERS BIBLE Vol. 1-4 would be a great start for self bows.  Also, the Bent Stick and Hunting the Osage Bow would help also.

Where is Petersburg IN?
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
If you are just intested in Laminated Glass Bows you might want to get Jack Harrison's "Traditional Bowyer, More Unnecessery Fun"
There is a ton of information in there about glass bows, as where the "Bibles" are more geared to all "wood"
Good luck.
Regards, Bert.

Offline Mike Most

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:55:00 AM »
You can also check out Binghamprojects.com. they have plans for longbows recurves, fiberglass and all things your going to need for laminate bows.

A lot of guys got their start making bows from them as they are very easy to talk to.

Good Luck

Mike
"It Shall be Life" (Ten Bears to Josie Wales)
------------------                Michael Most-Adkins Texas

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 07:00:00 PM »
I'll second Binghams.  That's how I got started. Follow their plans and use thier lamination kits and you will end up with a couple pounds of your desired draw weight.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
sounds great guys, thanks.
I will check this stuff out.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
I built my first bows using the bent stick.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline limbcracker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Building some wooden bows is a great and inexpensive way to develop some of the specialized skills of bowyering before sinking a lot of money into materials for glass laminating tools and materials.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
Limbcracker is spot on!  Do you have a bandsaw, file and/or rasp, block plane/Sureform plane, and sharp knife (drawknife, hunting knife, or cabinet scraper) available to you?  If so, I can give you a really easy tutorial (perhaps as a build-along) for a cheap and simple pyramid board bow (board made from dimensional lumber rather than a stave).  I use the design for the bow building classes that are a part of the outdoors course I teach at an urban high school.  The total cost for the bow, not including string material, is about $8-$10.  I purchase my board s from a host of places, including Menards, Home Depot, and a specialty lumber store here in town.

Aside from glueing up the riser (which needs to sit for 24 hours), I can literally crank out a bow of this design in about an hour to and hour-and-a-half.  That includes tillering, cutting the string nocks, profiling the handle, staining and finishing the bow with a moisture resistant coating, wrapping the grip/installing the arrow shelf, and making/setting up the string.  The bows my first-time students make consistently shoot an arrow average speeds or better (100 feet per second + draw weight) and show mild to medium set after several hundred shots.  Yet the design allows for a very light-in-the-hand bow that has negligible to no hand shock and is very accurate, even for city kids with no experience!

I've hunted turkey with this type of bow for the last few years and have been thrilled with it.  It's quiet, repels moisture, and is simple.  In short, it kills a turkey as dead as any other bow in the turkey woods    :archer:  

Below is a picture of a recent one I made.  It showed considerably more set and string follow than I wanted (I stored the board against my basement wall where it picked up moisture...not a good idea.)  To help offset that a little bit, I glued on some blocks of wood from the original bow blank onto the tip of each limb and profiled them into what resembled reflexed tips.  The speed picked back up to just above average for this bow (which is 63" nock to nock and pulls 43# at 26".)  It is stained with blackberry and blueberry juice diluted in denatured alcohol with a couple drops of permanent black calligrapher's ink.  This type of stain dries nearly instantly.  I then sealed it with three coats of spray-on lacquer (which also dries to the touch in minutes.)  I follow that up with one coat of mink oil, which can be touched up anytime the sky threatens rain.  Anyway, let me know if you'd be interested in building a bow like this and I'll get you the necessary information.

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©