Author Topic: What is your bow building and tools little tricks  (Read 1066 times)

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your bow building and tools little tricks
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Its not my idea and I don't remember where I found it but it works great for cutting fiberglass and does not ruin the blade.

I placed a 10" cut off blade, the kind found in a chop saw, in my table saw. The abrasive wheel easily cuts the glass and cost a fraction to replace. Much safer to work with too as the blade can be lowered or raised as needed.
Time is the crucible of a man's integrity.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
When I'm blending horn tips, or just removing tool marks from them, a disposable "straight" razor blade (like what's in a box cutter or sliding paint scraper) is the bee knees for smoothing the surface or blending into the limb. It removes shavings you can read the sunday paper through. After that, use one of those multi sided fingernail buffer pads to finish shaping and polishing.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Swamp Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
I've only built a couple of bows, so I'm still learning my "tricks".  I doubt it's a new technique, but here goes.  I have a quick adjust woodworkers vise on my bench.  My tiller tree is on the wall behind the bench and when I need to mark a spot or use a tiller gizmo, I just bring the rope around the corner of my bench and then stuff the rope into the vise.  A quick bump with my hip closes the vise, and then I just need to do a quarter turn to lock the rope down. Might replace it with a jam cleat at some point.  The other thing I do which I was taught, is when you make an adjustment to your tiller, remove all of the rasp marks (I use a cabinet scraper) before moving on.  That really slows me down and forces me to really look and analyze the area I'm working.  With time and experience I'm sure I will be able to skip that or not get rid of every mark.  I certainly agree with those that say slow down and be patient, but don't be too afraid to make a bit of kindling either.  I love watching newbies work at something I know something about because nobody ever told them "you can't do" that or "that won't work".  Amazing what you can learn from them.

Swamp

Offline Asafan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
It is my basic complete set of the tool. Saw, a rasp, scraper and a sandpaper. Other machine tools - only axe replacement   :)   .

Wooden toys

Offline Loren Piper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
one old trick is put your smooth on in the micowave for 30 seconds then mix it, it will be a lot easyer to work with and a lot thiner , Don't thin it with actone, thining it does effect the quality of the strenght.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
AND.....While doing delicate work, ya got ta have your tongue hangin' out yer mouth jest right...........Personal Experience.  :archer:    :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 10:10:00 PM »
Yer tongue has to hang out? I've been bitin' my lip!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Loren Holland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
i use a dremel tool with the tile cutting or grout removing bit, it is a great way to reach inside the shelf where it is tough to reach (also radius a shelf or put in your nocks), does file work, just faster...use a light touch though, Dano is right, power tools don't do anything you can't do by hand, they do screw it up faster though if you don't pay attention

Offline bmgarto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
I have a couple. For tillering wood bows, get a good pair of scissors that have a scrue in the middle that you can take apart. Purchas a cheap accusharp scissor sharpener and you have the best scraper ever for tillering wood bows. And it is easy to keep sharp.

How about this. Mount a belt sander upside down in a vice to create a table top belt sander. Or mount an electric drill in a vice with a drun sander bit. This works great for shaping risers.

Offline Innocente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2009, 12:06:00 AM »
"I glued pads of 10 ounce leather to the clamping surfaces of all my "C" clamps and the jaws on my vise. Works great"

i actually quit reading the post, ran out to my shop and doctored up my main 2 bow holding C clamps with this method, the second i read this.  BRILLIANT suggestion.  i've been using scraps of cardboard.  

here's my usual technique: clamp, shave, unclamp, back on tiller tree, back to bench, scream at my 2 boys: "GOD DAMMIT WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT MY LITTLE PIECES OF CARDBOARD THIS TIME!"

Online WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
I've had a couple sets of these for years and just started building bows and these have come in handy.
 http://www.mhcrafters.com/servlet/the-Vices-&-Clamps-cln-Soft-Jaw-Magnetic-Pads/Categories
Mine aren't the same brand but pretty close to the type.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©