Author Topic: Rubbing out Tru-Oil ?  (Read 423 times)

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
Rubbing out Tru-Oil ?
« on: October 18, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Was wondering what the pros. do after applying the final coat of tru-oil to complete the job? If you are not quite satisfied with your current process, you might want to try Clover valve grinding compound. I apply it with my fingers and rub in a circular motion. It really smoothes out the finish and removes a little of the sheen.
But then again, most of you probably already know this.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rubbing out Tru-Oil ?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
That's a good tip, I used to use rubbing compound for cars, it worked OK. The deal with Tru oil is the shine will come back if you rub it enough, that's a good thing for some but not for huntin. I have been using Defthane satin after the Tru Oil, two coats and it is tuff stuff.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
I normally use Helsman spar urethane over tru-oil, because I do not have a spray system. But, I thought those who don't over coat tru-oil might want give it a try. Can you get Defthane clear satin in a rattle can?
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
I use cheap satin spray poly over Tru-Oil. Just one quick spray on each limb cuts the shine plenty.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 05:50:00 AM »
I'm not a pro but the only wood I like Tru Oil on is osage because it fills up the pores. However, it never offered enough waterproofing for me in that it still raised the grain in heavy rain. last osage I did I put on spray spar urethane. Worked great. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©