Author Topic: Bandsaws  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Bandsaws
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
I am considering going in with my Step-Dad for a Bench Top Bandsaw, or Floor. Where is a Good Place to Start Looking??  :saywhat:   If that makes any sense. LOL  :biglaugh:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bandsaws
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
if wall mart have em start there bro. or yard sales in such a big place like the usa ya just never know ya luck.
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
I would scour the classifieds.  Look for a used Jet or Delta 14" floor model if you can.  You can find a good deal on these if you look around a little bit.  Both are good machines in my experience.  Once you get it, you may have to invest a little in new cooling blocks/bearing wheels and rubber for the wheels, but you should end up with a quality bandsaw.  Oh yeah, if you can get one with the extension even better.

Stan

Offline SoNevada Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I think you could find something in your local classified adds. But if you can afford a modest investment, I would look at the Sears "professional" models. They sale a very good quality tool.
Good luck!
The doom of man...that he forgets!

Offline bunky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I would second what Stan says.  I have a Grizzly 14 inch and wished I would have bought a Jet or Delta.  They are more expensive new, but if you can find a used one for a good price, start there. I was very happy with my Grizzly until I discovered that I would have to use there saw blades. You won't have the same problem with other manufacturers.
Mohawk 66"44#@28"
Browning Cobra II 58" 56#@28"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
I have a Grizzly 14" and it is plenty of saw for what I need it for; mostly selfbows but backed bows too.  Grizzly has a good parts supply and an excellent technical department with knowledgable folks ready to help with any problems.
  I also have a Grizzly 10" table saw, a 6"x48" table top belt/disc sander and a few smaller power tools I bought from them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 05:18:00 PM »
I get by with my Craftsman but I love my brothers Jet.  MUch better tool and easier to adjust.
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
Harbor Frieght has a nice floor model 14" for $289.00. Not name brand but it looks well built.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
I have a Griz 14",I don't use Griz blades tho. Right now I have a Lennox Diemaster(I think) on it and have used Timberwolf.

I have run a LOT of lumber thru it.Only weak point is guide bearings,and I just buy new ones at a machine shop(sealed) for under $3.00 each.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline sulphur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
i agree with Grizzly.  i also have the 14" model with the 1 hp motor.  its great, easy to adjust and not to bad a price for as much machine as it is.  save your money until you can get a really good one.  don't hurry.
Rumblin, Stumblin, Bumblin

Offline bunky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 09:35:00 PM »
I use Wood Slicers 1/2 resaw blades from Highland Hardware $30. Being only 1/2 inch, I rarely change it out for a cross cut blade. Cuts very smooth!
Mohawk 66"44#@28"
Browning Cobra II 58" 56#@28"

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
I use a 14" from harbor frieght, i got it 4 years ago and NEVER have had an issue with it. Its built everything from stick bows, lam bows a ballista, a speed boat and even a 1700# war crossbow.

I have had to replace the switch as the orignial collected dust and would interfer with on/off. nothing major - was a 5.00 repair and about 30 minutes of time.

I don't like the blade changing as i think the tensioner could be better placed, but again 5 minute blade changes and no issues with it. It cuts straight and is all the machine i have needed so far.

No matter what brand you do choose - DO NOT get anything under a 14" floor model. The 9" machines are not enough to take bow building far.

Dave

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
iv had about 6 band saws in the last 30 years   recantly had a buddy buy a grizzly  thats junk the inner parts are plastic   for my money the best iv found is a jet    delta my 2nd choice   my 2 cents brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
14", 3/4-1 Horsepower banndsaw is way you need.

used ones can be found pretty much everywhere,.

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Maybe a comparison between the models vs the price point would be a better help.

delta 14" floor 3/4 hp- 399.00  

grizzly 14" ultimate band saw 1 hp - 509.00 delivered  

With tax figured in on the delta , in the city I live in, both will be close in price, however don't forget the things you need for the saw like a fence, miter,blades,etc. Does it come with the saw or will you have to purchase the items? The Delta come with nothing whereas the grizzly come with fence, miter and a 3/8ths blade. all the little things add up so in the end the grizzly will be the cheaper unit.

As for blades, don't worry too much about it unless you just haft to be able to grab one locally.    suffolk machinery/ timber wolf blades will sell you a high quality blade for a reasonable price and they are custom made to fit any saw. If you need blades to have in waiting just order a few more and store them.  

Look at the two for the features you want then listen to those that actually own the units. Its a large investment so no sense in rushing the choice.     :thumbsup:
Time is the crucible of a man's integrity.

Offline bubby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
My wife got me a 14" harbor freight 3/4 hp bandsaw at a yard sale for 50 bucks. I've been more than happy with it. like dave said I had to change out the switch but big deal. Should be someone local that builds bandsaw blades any length ya want.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
I am still plugging away with my Craftsman 12" and never wished for anything bigger when I was building just bows. I have started tinkering with other things now and wouldn't mind a 14" but would still buy Craftsman.

I have blades made to fit it for $15 a blade, any config.
Skeater who?

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 06:38:00 AM »
Great Info Guys!!  :thumbsup:   Thanks to ALL!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I just picked up an almost brand new Delta 9" band saw off of craigslist for $35.  I have been using a Ryobi 9" for self bows and it worked fine.  The Delta is just in much better shape.  I cut mostly osage and just take it slow.  I am sure a 14" or bigger would be great, it is just not in my budget
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Bunky my friend,
That saw has absolutely no idea what blade you put on it. Who said you have to use Grizzly blades? You have to tune your saw for each blade you put on it. That said, you want a good blade for any saw? Get a Timberwolf silicon steel blade from Suffolk Machinery. They'll set you up with whatever you need.
Got wood? - Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©