Author Topic: What woods make a good TD riser?  (Read 404 times)

Offline Celtic Dragon

• Trad Bowhunter
What woods make a good TD riser?
« on: October 24, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Please exuse the newbie question, but I've not found the definitive answer using the search.

What woods make a good TD riser?? With the nights now drawing in I'm going to make my own TD riser, utilizing my samick limbs (its not a pretty riser anyway).

This way, my thinking is I have a keeper riser then junk the limbs and buy a new set (or get my friendly bowyer to make me a custom set) and I get a bow I love to shoot.

Dad just did a rather daft thing and offered me unlimited access to his new workshop!!!

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What woods make a good TD riser?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I really like diamondwood or actionwood...it is very strong, sands beautifully with little need for pore filling and looks great even if you dont use alterations or a laminated riser.  Good luck

Offline bjhaug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
I second the dymondwood.  Its a bit pricey compared to the alternatives, I guess, and is moderately difficult to work considering its so hard.  But its strong, so you dont have to worry about putting a lot of time into something and then watching it fail under the stresses (i.e. my gaboon ebony riser footed with lacewood - nearly broke my heart).

Offline Bob L.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
Bubinga is a wood that is strong and easy to sand and shape in comparison to hard woods and is cheap to buy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©