Author Topic: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along  (Read 14976 times)

Offline David Holt

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
Which DOC?  We met marty last week in brunswick. Great guy, gave me an elm stave!  He's gonna invite us to hunt that pig in Feb. Camping and hunting....can't beat that!
HMC(SS/SW) David Holt
Submarine Force Independent Duty Corpsman
HOO-YAH

Offline Russell S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
I didn't realize you where both doc's!! that makes it twice as bad!!!  My wife is gunning to come back to K-bay next year so maybe we can get a decent hunt going,  i love pigs and swamps!
does everyone else look up when someone yells "DUCK!!"?

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2009, 07:19:00 AM »
SSGN_Doc,

OMG! The horror! Thank goodness you dispatched that vicious beast.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline SSGN_Doc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Tom, that squirrel had claws and pointy teeth.  At least I didn't have to resort to the Holy hand grenade.

'Twas more a test of the accuracy.  If I can get a half dozen squirrels I'll be trying to make some Brunswick stew.  If I can keep my dogs away from them.

Next bow is going to be a bit more compact and of lighter draw weight to be more appropriate for turkey, rabbit, squirrel, and such.  Of course the flatter trajectory of this bow was a contributing factor to making the shot.

Offline SSGN_Doc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Russell,

Let us know if you make it down here.  My wife wants to get back to Washington.  But that is not likely to happen unless I make Senior Chief and decide to delay retirement.  Or we relocate that way when I retire.

I'd be alright hunting in the Olympic range again, or in the  Cascade foothills to the south of Olympia where my father-in-law likes to hunt.

Offline Pac'em out

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
Wow!  Awesome build along, 4est.  I'm going to give it a try.  Thank you so much taking the time.

Offline R.W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #166 on: January 04, 2010, 07:40:00 AM »
TTT for Pokeanhope

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #167 on: January 08, 2010, 11:49:00 AM »
Cool !! Makes your fingers itch to begin with one your self - Thank you !
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #168 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:00 PM »
Many folks have asked how to shape the profiles of their bow without using a bandsaw.  So, here's a little description of how I do it.  This is a maple pyramid bow that I just started.  Go ahead and lay out the bow as described.

The first thing I do is cut the fades and along the thickness taper for about an inch with a coping saw as such:

Next I shape the THICKNESS (side profile).  I use a sharp hatchet and go WITH the direction of the grain.  If you go against, you'll tear out wood past your line.  Generally, you'll work one limb towards the grip, the other away from the grip.  I start by angling the sides from the middle of the belly down toward the thickness line.  This will leave a crown on the belly.  Here's a few pics of that process:

Then I knock the crown off to flatten the belly out:

The next thing I do is cut the front profile (limb tapers).  I do this before truing up the limb thickness so that I don't have so much wood to work.  I use the hatchet to get it close, then a Stanley Surform rasp and block plane to true it up:

Then I have to redraw the side profile (limb thickness) line:

I use the Surform rasp and to flatten and true up the belly, then round the edges of the limbs and it's ready for tillering.  Total time from beginning the layout to getting it on the tree was 1 hour and 45 minutes.  Didn't take long at all, and sure cut down on the dust in my shop!  Just keep your hatchet sharp and your fingers clear.

PS:  I find that I have much more control with a hatchet.  A drawknife works fine, too, but I just don't have enough finesse with one to work a board stave with it.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline NEProf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #169 on: January 08, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
4est,

Thanks. That is very helpful. I hope you will show your maple bow when it is done. I love maple boards for bows. Where do you get your maple boards?

Offline tradsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2010, 05:38:00 PM »
I just picked up my board today and I can't wait to get it finished. This will be the first bow I make
Fred Bear Grizzly 56" AMO 45@28
Fred Bear Montana 64" AMO 55@28

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #171 on: January 13, 2010, 11:53:00 PM »
Alright, fellas...I've counted 21 people who've told me via pm's and e-mail that they've successfully completed their bows, but so far not many have posted their pics or stories here.  So, let's see 'em and hear how it went!

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline tradsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2010, 12:01:00 AM »
im just about to the tillering process and I learned really quickly that im not very good with a bandsaw. I'm using black walnut for the tips and for the peice that you glue onto the riser so I hope they look good
Fred Bear Grizzly 56" AMO 45@28
Fred Bear Montana 64" AMO 55@28

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2010, 12:25:00 AM »
Posted mine here  http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=002537
But I thought about posting on your thread..should have. I need to get a picture of the first that I built like yours but it was only 11/2 wide and 66" ntn pulls 32# at 28"...my wife shoots it. My next one will be hopefully 55 at 26"...I kinda overbuilt the first one,it was pulling 50 at 20" so I took some off and wound up a little light.This is my favorite bow.

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2010, 05:40:00 AM »
the axe is the greatest bowmaking tool!! yeah  :D

here's my favorite, it's now in my posession and it's the best one I've ever handled:

http://www.dick.biz/dick/product/710806/detail.jsf

it just rocks.  :)

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
Oooo, Nick...I must have one of those hatchets!  Thanks for sharing!

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »
You sure have to get one!! you won't be dissapointed  ;)

Dick.Biz is a great and reliable supplyer, even though the shipment to USA might double the price, it's more than worth it.

Nick
in the old days religion had it's use to keep nations together. Today, religion tears nations apart.

Nick

Offline DLH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
trad sniper I built my board bow just like yours with the walnut tips and riser... I am planning to make a bow out of walnut in the future.

Offline postercommon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2010, 11:26:00 AM »
Great build-along!  
My bow still shoots a little to the right, and I've come to believe it's the fletching, bouncing off the arrow rest.  Is there a simple solution to this that I'm just looking over?

Offline dutchwarbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2010, 03:17:00 PM »
poster, try a stiffer spine.

Nick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©