Author Topic: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along  (Read 14969 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along
« Reply #180 on: January 20, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
4est,
 Like you said in a PM you sent me, that I kinda pushed this along. I got all wrapped up in osage before I got started on my board bow. However I do have it roughed out and am getting ready to start tillering it after I get it cleaned up some.

I'm gonna do a purple heart and bocote tip overlay and the same on the handle and am shooting for around 35lbs at around 26". It's gonna be my wifes bow and she is kinda excited about it so my stuff is on the back burner now. LOL But I think it will get her into archery as she has showed no interest what so ever until I told her it was gonna be her bow so I think it might get her going.
I'll post some pics when I get it on the tiller tree, I'm sure it'll need some critiquing.
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline klm5121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
This is my first attempt at a board bow. It measures 64" and I am just guessing around 40 lbs @ 26". Thank 4est for a great build along. sorry no full draw picture yet

...Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus~Philippians 3:14-15

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Like several others I am doing an Oak bow with Walnut handle and tips. I am also going to do Osage tip overlays. I have been substitute teaching in the Technology department at our school, for the last 2 weeks so Have been bringing it in to work and getting some done on it. Unfortunately I didn't bring a big enough piece of Osage today so only one tip is getting glued up at the moment  :knothead:  
I am going to do a stringing groove like you put on yours 4est. I will post pictures as soon as my wife finds my camera that she borrowed.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Jeff Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
klm,
You may want to put the handle lacing on the backside rather than the belly side. Looks great, hard to find such nice boards.
Jeff

Offline Harperclan7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I wanted to say thanks for the great build along I have completed 2 bows using this build along. When I get the chance I will post some pics thanks again
God, Family, Country

Offline tradsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: January 23, 2010, 07:02:00 PM »
I just finished making the tillering tree so I am going to start the tillering process tommorow. My bow isnt going to turn out nearly as nice as 4est's but all I really care about right now is making the bow shootable
Fred Bear Grizzly 56" AMO 45@28
Fred Bear Montana 64" AMO 55@28

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Will post pictures later, found the camera, but have question first. I found I nice straight grained piece of oak, layed it out, picked the best side for the back and have the bow just about finished. The question is; the grain was straight to start with but the taper has left a run out or two that have me worried. Seems like this is inevitable with this design and was wondering if I should worry about it. Don't really want to back it and all I have for backing at the moment is drywall paper and havn't had a ton of luck with that as a backing. Please let me know.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline Harperclan7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
I saw on here a couple of times that one or two run outs isn't bad. I also haven't had too much luck backing with the drywall tape. I like silk, or burlap most prefer burlap. I hope this helps
God, Family, Country

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »
4est i wanted to thank you for the build along i am half way thru tillering and have really enjoyed the process .... i would also like to add that a grinder with an abrasive sanding wheel worked well for thinning the board to 15/32 it is very agressive and a respirator is a must but i am a welder by trade so use what you got and improvise....also, iam wondering with this basic design as a template would it be feasible to make the handle longer , the limbs longer, riser skinnier (about 1 1/2 to 2") a cut out arrow shelf and hickory backing?  sorry so long.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2010, 06:59:00 PM »
Glad the grinder works...takes wood off in a hurry, doesn't it?

Yes to all of your questions, although making the handle longer will shorten the overall working limb length if the bow is left the same ntn length.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline stickytoes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
that is what i was wondering. i have big meaty paws so i would love to build the next one longer handle and longer limb.....this stuff is addictive! thanks again

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
4est I think you have created some bow building monsters.
 I'm getting mine there. I'll post some pics shortly.
Matter of fact I think I'll go work on it a little now.
 Later
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline tradsniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: January 30, 2010, 04:06:00 PM »
Short of putting something on the handle, putting on a rest and putting on some finish, my bow is finished!!! I took a couple shots with it today and I am amazed at how well it shoots for how little it cost. Thank you so much 4est for this great build along. I'll post pics once my sister brings the camera home from college.
Fred Bear Grizzly 56" AMO 45@28
Fred Bear Montana 64" AMO 55@28

Offline Bill Sagues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: January 30, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
This is a picture of number 4; #1 and #2 broke and #3 and #4 are still shooting.  Number 5 is on the bench now.  Has been a lot of fun - thank you 4est.  Once you get started it is hard to stop!

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2010, 10:13:00 AM »
4est, can't thank you enough for opening the world of bowyerism to amateurs. It truly is amazing fun, and nothing beats being in the shop.

But a question for you, wouldn't it be easier to cut the bow's edge profile while the bow is still squared up, and then cut the tapers? I wasn't sure if the steps were as they were for a reason. I don't have a band saw, so it doesn't quite matter yet, but it was something I thought about while pencilling in the profile's edge (while i was thinking about how to cut it! lol)

Can't thank you enough man. Keep it up!

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Fish n Chicks:  Sure, you can do it that way.  I just have a small bandsaw (as do a lot of hobby bowyers).  Doing the steps in this order eliminates the need to resaw the entire width of the bow blank when cutting the limbs to thickness.  This can be taxing on a small band saw.  Since this is the most crucial step, I like less room for error.  But, I have done it the other way.  Good question!  Glad you enjoyed the buildalong.

Bill and Tradsniper:  Glad to see you've both gotten the bug, and that you've gotten some shooters out of the deal!  Good work!

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by 4est trekker:
Fish n Chicks:  Sure, you can do it that way.  
Nice! thank you! I lack a band saw altogether, and am having quite a time figuring out how to cut the profile. My sabre/jig saw is useless after about 1" of stock. Coping saw is like trying row to england. I asked a bud if I can hit his band saw tomorrow, but we'll see.

Got any suggestions?

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
Yeah...check out page 12.  I show you how to do it with little more than a hatchet.

Offline MACT28214

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
4est,
 Thanks for the build. I was looking for a model for a new build, because I broke my last two board bows. Just waiting for the rain to stop and the temp to climb again (no heat in the shed).
Tim

Offline Pac'em out

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: February 06, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Hey 4est,
What is the black lam in the riser of your maple bow on pg 12?  Please post picks when she's done.  

Oh yeah, where do you get most of your boards?  I've checked the local HD and Lowes with zero luck.  Thanks.

Tim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©