Author Topic: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along  (Read 14938 times)

Offline Jason/Woody

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the input.  I made the initial cuts and glued up last night.  I made it 70" and planned on it being 68 NTN.

I don't currently shoot all the time.  I have here and there, but never really knew what I was doing, just having fun.  Maybe I'll end up going with the 15/32" limbs after all.  I narrowed the taper to start at 2-1/2" figuring that would lower the weight some, and that is why I was going to go with 1/2" thickness.

The shelf makes sense, and I figured it was something like that.

Thanks for the help.
Striving to be imperfect.  So far so good.

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #301 on: July 24, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Finished my first bow.  Well almost.  I'm going to add a floppy rest and stitched leather handle.  But, here it is in all her glory.  I named her Genesis as this is the beginning of my bow building.  Thanks so much to 4est for putting this together.  My sone is already asking to make one with me.  What a great opportunity it's going to give me with my son.  We'll see if the Lord blesses me with a deer this fall.  It pulls 50# @ 28".  She's 68" tip to tip.  Can't wait...

-Jeremy
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #302 on: July 24, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Way to go, Jeremy...nice work!  Get your son involved and you'll have yourself a ready-make shooting partner.  Mine's only 3 1/2 years old, but he's up for shooting any day of the week!

Again, nice job.  So glad it worked out for you.  Like the name, too.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #303 on: September 11, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
Ok I am gonna try making this bow.
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive Council Member.

James V. Bailey II

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #304 on: September 11, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
I don't know what happened to my last post. That's not my board bow.  This one is:

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #305 on: September 11, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
Nice looking bow, Jeremy.  You did well!  Thanks for posting.

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Byron Epting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #306 on: October 12, 2010, 08:36:00 PM »
Hey all, my uncle told me about this page and gave me and oak board to use. I'm not sure of the draw weight, i'm thinking around 50# at 29 inches. The bow is 70 inches long. I used countertop laminate to back the bow. Then i used camo duct tape to cover the bright white front and I clear coated it. She's hanging up drying right now. This has been awesome, i've always wanted a longbow i just couldn't afford to go buy one.

Offline Jeff Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #307 on: October 12, 2010, 09:04:00 PM »
Its great to see someone help so many others get started.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #308 on: October 15, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
4est,
great build along. I tried to make a board bow from som ash I had left over from making molding for the house using the best piece I could find and got a sore nose for my troubles. I will be doing an oak board to make a bow for my grand daughter (14 and weighs 70 lbs socking wet) that pulls about 32#.  Thanks for the great build along.
Dr. Dan

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #309 on: October 15, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
Good luck on all your builds, fellas! Be sure to post some pictures    :)

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #310 on: October 16, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
once i get the wife's white oak Sam's style , i am going to get to a hickory pyramid via your series here 4est. after visiting a true sawmill/lumber yard , the difference in wood was inspiring.

as a side note , have you ever tried adding a second set of limp tips to get more curve?

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #311 on: October 17, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Hey, all.  Some have asked me to update this buildalong with some of the information I've provided them in pm's.  So, here's a few more bits of information that may be helpful to you.  Also, I KNOW there's a lot of bows that ya'll haven't posted here that I've seen in pm's and e-mails.  Don't be shy and post them on here so all can see!

1) To increase the working length of the limbs and reduce the static riser area, make the center mark as usual and then put a mark 2" and 4" on either side of that.  That will give you two marks that are 4" apart that locate the end of the fades and two marks 8" apart that locate the beginning of the fades.  By allowing more limb to work, you can:

A) slightly increase the draw length to 29"

B) reduce set

2) By backing the bow with a simple backing of brown shipping paper (i.e. grocery sack paper on a roll) you can add insurance and possibly draw length.  I buy this type of paper at Target in their mailing supplies.  You can back a bow with paper before or after tapering the limbs to profile.  You can also add it to a finished bow, provided you removed the finish on the back so the glue can properly adhere.  Either way, it's easiest to apply BEFORE you round the edges of the limbs.  Here's what I do:

A) Cut two strips of paper that are 2" longer than half the length of the bow and 1" wider than the profile of the limb.

B) Using Titebond II or III, spread a very thin layer of glue over the entire back of the bow.  When it dries, lightly sand it.  This sizes the back.  To size the paper, lightly DAMPEN (not soak) it with a sponge.

C) Beginning at the center of the handle and working toward one tip, spread a thin, even layer of glue over one limb.  It doesn't need to be very thick, as that will cause problems.  However, cover every square inch of the limb.

D) Lay the paper on beginning at the center of the handle and then gently lay it down along the entire length of the limb, being sure to keep it aligned.

E) Using your fingers, gently work the excess glue and air bubbles out bow rubbing toward the tip and edges.  Be care, as you can rub a hole in the paper pretty quickly, especially if there is any glue or moisture on your fingers.

F) Next, use a smooth, round object such as a glass tube to further work the glue and air bubbles out in the same fashion you did with your fingers.

G) Repeat for the other limb.

H) Once dry, you can stain the paper if you'd like.  Doing this now will allow you to leave the wood natural (see first two pictures below).  

I) Using a file and sandpaper, simply round the edges of the bow, thus removing the excess paper.

Here are some pictures of a few bows backed with stained brown paper:

3) A third update is that hickory is most suited to this project.  Many guys have asked as such.  It you can find a fairly straight grained piece, have at it!  Hickory will take a beating and come back for more.  You can make it shorter and narrower than the dimensions given in this buildalong, although if it's your first bow I'd start with those given and work down from there.  There are two things two be aware of with hickory, however:

A) Make sure the belly is perfectly flat.  Hickory is weak in compression and crowned belly will concentrate the compressive forces along that crown leading to fretting.

B) Keep the wood dry.  It is notoriously prone to soaking up a great deal of moisture.  This will lead to sluggish cast and excessive set.

4) Lastly, in order to give your bow hand more room, you could consider shaping your riser like the following pictures.  In doing so, you should add another layer of wood to the riser.  That is necessary because as you thin the riser section, you must be sure to compensate by adding thickness.

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #312 on: October 18, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
This one build along has given me more insight and knowledge than any article or web site I have come across. Since January I have made 7 board bows, not one of them like the other. Here they are in chronological order.

My first build, 60" ntn, pulled 25# @ 28". Red oak with Tamboti.

Bow #2, 64" ntn, 55# @ 28". Red oak, yellowheart, and bolivian rosewood. Please don't make fun of my draw, I was a wheelie boy my whole archerious life, so there was/is a bit of a learning curve for me.

Bow #3, firewood. It was an experiment with grips, and some valuable lessons were learned.

Bow #4, Purple Passion, went to Bobby Boswell during the Tradbow swap. 64" ntn, I think it pulled 45# @ 28". Red Oak and purple heart.  

Bow #5, went to my mentor and friend Rip White. 64" ntn, 55# @ 28". Common Cherry, Padauk, and Ebony.

Bow #6, I made for myself. It's my pride and joy, as of now    :biglaugh:     Made from the same board as #5, but with purpleheart and ebony.

64" ntn, 45# @ 28".

Bow #7 was on the bench. It was red oak and purpleheart again (my wife wants one like purple passion) but a ridiculous looking run out became very real prior to tillering so she is just a model now.

Like I said, this BA has been nothing short of incredible for me. I have a connection to my passion like I never thought I could, and it has helped me work out my creative side as well.

Thank you 4est, I can tell you now that is a name I will not soon forget.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #313 on: October 18, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
Awesome post, Fish...I'm so glad it helped you along.  I like seeing the progression of your bows.  Can't wait to see what you're making next year!  :)

Offline DLH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #314 on: October 18, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
So basically you will taper the limbs from the 2in marks to 1/2in on the updated version correct?

How much more thickness do you personally add to your handles 4est another 3/4in?

Offline LoneMaverick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #315 on: November 19, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
Hi there, new here but just finished this bow about a week ago.  After countless stupid mistakes and idiocy it actually turned out great, shot very well 55# @28in.

Sad part is a splinter in the bow caused about halfway through the build caused one of the tips to split about 6" down straight through the center while trying out homemade arrows.  :(

Currently on bow #2 using the same buildalong and doing a bit more fancy stuff, and I've only put about 1/4 of the time into it, bout to tiller now.

Anyway, had a question or two, Would I be able to salvage the other bow as a kids bow or longbow by piking it or do I need to take the thickness down as well?

Will post pictures of both when I can, atm I'm busy making dust  :)

Thanks alot for the build 4est I've definately found myself a new hobby!

Offline Pennsyltuckey pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #316 on: November 21, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
After reading this thread I just had to do one.  Started tonight.  Went to the local home store.  I still struggle reading the grain. found what I think is a good board.  Little later...

pete
Love one woman, Many Bows

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #317 on: November 21, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
pete,
keep the pics comming

Offline sammyrulez

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #318 on: November 22, 2010, 02:53:00 AM »
Hi there

I'm at my second attempt to build a boardbow following 4est directions. I don't have a bendsaw and I'm foundig big dificoultis in shaping the handle profile.
With a hand saw is almost impossible to follow the curve on page 17. I tried also with rasp but with little success. Should I consider other shape options for the handler? Any tips?
Thanks

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #319 on: November 22, 2010, 06:08:00 AM »
Sammy,
I have not tried but maybe a coping saw might work. you may have to cut proir to glue up but I bet it would work
kelly

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©