Author Topic: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along  (Read 14932 times)

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along
« Reply #360 on: December 08, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Are yall still laughing at me   :laughing:  ??
If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #361 on: December 08, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
looks good!  that last pic i thought you had all your tools mounted on the peg sideways...i thoughht , hmmm thats kinda interesting and different... then i realized you turned the camera....lol...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #362 on: December 09, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
ha ha,Thats some of my camera skills! I also noticed the little bow is upside down,,geez,I dont know about me sometimes! I should find out today if it works or not.Ill let yall know how it works out.                Rick
If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #363 on: December 09, 2010, 09:57:00 AM »
Great build along, I'm learning alot and I've already built 4 Osage bows. It's nice to see how other guys do it and compare notes. I've learned some neat little tricks from reading your posts so far. I'm not even half way through the build along, but I needed to make a post here so I could watch this topic.

Great tutorial.  :thumbsup:
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #364 on: December 09, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
yeah it took me a few days to read the whole thing...

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #365 on: December 09, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
I'd be wary of that handle breaking at the arrow pass cut out. How thick is it there?

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #366 on: December 09, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
Its 3/4 right there

Offline Jeff Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #367 on: December 09, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
That handle probably wont last. The pass looks too small to be usefull.Sorry for sounding so harsh .

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #368 on: December 09, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
looks fine to me. i thought it was a bit small , maybe open it up a little taller...

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #369 on: December 09, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Thats not harsh at all Jeff,you guys have alot more experience than me.I think I will open it up a little more,at this point this is an experiment bow.If it dont work,I will learn something! Just like the day before Thanksgiving I learned that my joiner will cut the end of your finger off if you try to run a small strip of bamboo thru!    :nono:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #370 on: December 09, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Oh my Lord Ricky......are you OK?

My cousin did that in shop class when he was about 16 years old and they had to graft skin and everything. Man, you got to be careful with those jointers.......they'll get ya!
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #371 on: December 09, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
Oh yeah,im OK,I just lost about 1/2 inch of my left index finger,6 hours in the ER ,follow up at the orthopedic,big ol bill to pay,,,, Were going to just let it heal as is,since there wasnt anything left to reattach[GROUND UP] If it dont heal properly surgery is still an option. I think I will use the belt sander on Boo strips from now on!!

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #372 on: December 09, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
3/4" will break.  

I would say glue on 1/8" lams and build up the thickness.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #373 on: December 09, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
depends on the weight hes going for and draw. if youre going more than a lightweight bow , id reinforce it , just to be safe , but my d-bow has a handle similar to yours without the pass , and its not even 3/4"...just be safe...

-hov

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #374 on: December 09, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Where should I put the lams? I am going for a lighter weightI didnt get a chance to work on it today,im on it tommorow. Thanks for all the input

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
how light are you talking ?

if youre talking 20# or so , id say you should be good. any more than that , i would throw no less than an 1/8" on the back and belly ,just to be safe. id end up rasping most of the back overlay off , just so you had a little extra buildup where your pass is. on the back , id leave as much there as you can. provided you will need to shape and do things like that , but i wouldnt glue the strip on , then make my grip smaller than what you just glued on...know what i mean?

-hov

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
I think I know what you mean,I want to go for around 35# I have some pretty red cedar and some nice black walnut,You think the cedar would be to soft?

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #377 on: December 10, 2010, 12:44:00 AM »
i am not the one to trust fully , but the cedar should give you some stiffness. the walnut would be better , or just about anything that is stiff should do you. you could also order some phenolic pretty inexpensive , then you would have a nice color accent as well...

i personally dont think you should have a whole lot to worry about...you even using a scale or just winging it?

-hov

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #378 on: December 10, 2010, 01:09:00 AM »
Im using the bathroom scale method,Walnut it is,,I know its harder than the cedar,I used walnut for my first riser on my very first red oak bow,it looks good and still seems to be fine.phenolic? whats that?    :dunno:

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #379 on: December 10, 2010, 11:56:00 AM »
3 rivers carries it , im not sure who else...its sort of like fiberglass , but im pretty sure it doesnt have the glass in it , sort of like micarta...

lots of people here use it for accents in risers. when you see black or white stripes that go through the riser , thats usually phenolic. its pretty nice stuff.

and yeah , id go with walnut too , just to b safe. cedar can be used from time to time , but im not familiar enough with the different types to recommend using it...

good luck and make sure to post pics as ya go!

-hov

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©