Author Topic: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along  (Read 14927 times)

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along
« Reply #380 on: December 10, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
I'd use Osage myself. It's super hard, maybe even tougher than walnut? Not sure on that, but it's tough for sure.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #381 on: December 10, 2010, 06:13:00 PM »
I dont have acsess to osage without ordering it from someone,{im cheap,,] I got the walnut glued up today,Ill work it tommorow and post pics. Hopefully ill get off some arrows as well.
If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #382 on: December 10, 2010, 06:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ricky Wallace:
I dont have acsess to osage without ordering it from someone,{im cheap,,] I got the walnut glued up today,Ill work it tommorow and post pics. Hopefully ill get off some arrows as well.
Too bad you don't live closer, you could come over and take home an armload of off fall from my staves.

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #383 on: December 10, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
time to move to missouri ... lol...
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
Hows this? I have a little twist problem on the bottom limb,but I think I can fix it.It is pulling bewtween 30& 35 pounds which is ok with me

If you expect nothing from anyone,you will never be dissapointed. Watch,Listen,Learn U.S.ARMY  '86 '91

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #385 on: December 11, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
I think it looks real good Ricky. Have you shot it yet?

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #386 on: December 11, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
Yeah,I put about a dozen shots thru it,I was pleased! That twist bothers me,I want to get that taken care of before I shoot any more,I have a snakeskin coming to put on the back,that will look good I think.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #387 on: December 11, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »
notice the battle wound on the left finger, hope thats not going to be the only blood drawn by such a pretty bow.
well done, these are prettiest gaggle of board bows i have ever seen!!!!
well done to 4est too!!!!

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #388 on: December 11, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Yeah Buddy!! We couldnt do without 4est!! He is a good teacher! This bow is intended to be a gift for my Chief,,but Im not so sure now!! I may have to keep it!   :archer2:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #389 on: December 11, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
you know, paul comstock says that a bit of natural twist in a stave is not a problem, however if it was due to the tillering, i would fix it, just check either side on the offending limb for thickness, if one is a tad thicker , sneak it down with a scraper, you will be surprised how little you have to take off, make sure you exercise it well after each tiny bit, wood "training" becomes very apparent with an exercise like this- its easy to land up with twist in the other direction if you take too much off, and will only notice it after the wood settles in during the exercising.
wayne

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #390 on: December 11, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Ricky, with everything you have been through....I mean losing a finger and all.   :knothead:    :thumbsup:

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #391 on: December 11, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Ricky I 2nd that praise to 4est. He really has helped give me confidence and I am having a great time tinkering in the garage with the new band saw and sander.
4est has put together a great build along.   :thumbsup:
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #392 on: December 11, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Ha Ha,There is some feelings with this one,My Daddy taught me to keep going no matter what,If he was still here he would shake his head at me!the finger is a minor injury compared to others over the last 35 or so years!Im not hunting this year but yall just watch what goes on next season!    :saywhat:  Im still torn whether to keep it or not,Ill decide next week. Ill post up pics when the finish is done.BTW This is the most incredeble thread I have ever been a part of!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #393 on: December 12, 2010, 03:04:00 PM »
4est, i saw on the maple bow post , that you had glue on nock tips, on the belly side of the bow, wanna tell a little more!?!
thanks
wayne

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #394 on: December 12, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
going to get some pics up later of my new 51" ntn white oak pyramid. gonna go pick up some good sandpaper ($1 big lots stuff sucks!) , and try to find either a hickory board or something to back it with. i am not doing a riser piece , but i did cut out an ergo grip on it and a small shelf that i may end up removing in leu of a floppy rest.

still considering sinew backing it just for safety , but i think an eighth or sixteenth of hickry should do me up just right. im going to just end up tillering it as far as i can , and short draw it. if i can get my hickry sliced thin enough , i may do some small brushy's.

-hov

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #395 on: December 12, 2010, 03:44:00 PM »
Glad you all are having a good time with this one   :)    Nice to see new folks building some bows!  Fujimo: the nocks you are referring to are called brush nocks.  They prevent brush from snagging between the limb tips and string.  

Keep 'em coming, guys, and be sure to read all of the updates throughout.  They include an 8" riser (which is way better in my opinion) and a better handle design that's not so beefy and chunky.  The one I did for the build-along is designed to be WAY overbuild to prevent problems there, which is common in first pyramids.  However, it's heavier, bulkier, blockier, etc. than need be.

:campfire:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Ricky Wallace

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #396 on: December 12, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Hova,if you have a harbor freight close by,they have good norton sandpaper for way cheaper than the big box stores.Thats where I get mine  Look forward to seeing your new bow!

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #397 on: December 12, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
ill have to get up there tomorrow. i literally just went by there , but we were doing clothes shopping for the wifey. no tool talk allowed...

and yeah , i thought a buck a pack was good even if it sucked. it sucks royally. cheap tp has a higher grit rating...

need to pick up some moar clamps too...yay harbor freight..

-hov

Offline Jeff Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #398 on: December 12, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Ricky,
 just to ensure no more accidents you may consider placing the bow on the tiller tree or stick and putting a flat piece of wood same length as the riser on the hadle area then flexing the limbs to full draw. If the area under the riser shows daylight the grip is flexing and it may very well blow up right at the cut out shelf.D bows are supposed to flex through the handle and have no cuts to create weak points so there is a big difference.Good luck and keep asking questions.
Jeff

Offline DLH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #399 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Would it be better to use a light wood for the overlays to keep the weight down towards the tips?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©