Author Topic: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along  (Read 14924 times)

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The "So You Wanna Build a Bow?" Build-Along
« Reply #420 on: January 02, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
Here are some more pics of the new bow. Finally got her to full draw and shot a few arrows.
really sends them arrows with authority, much faster than I expected. Still need to put a finish on "tru oil" and arrow rest.

I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #421 on: January 02, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
:saywhat:    :clapper:

Offline fish n chicks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #422 on: January 03, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Hey red tail, the bow is looking sweet. If I can make a couple of suggestion, I would say your bottom limb could use some more off the belly from about 8" from the riser down. If you haven't made the tillering gizmo yet, it'll point out what the eyes may falsely tell you.

The other thing I would suggest is to get your hands on some boiled linseed oil. You can get a decent sized can from the big boy toy stores, for lik3 7$. It's what's used on gun stocks, and will bring the grain out of your wood naturally. Just apply about 10 coats every 20 minutes or so, and let dry for a week till the smell is gone, then spray with lacquer from a can a few times. Professional looking and on the cheap, and it looks natural.

Otherwise, you've got yourself a sweet shooter that came from your own two hands. Cheers!

Offline kountzer0

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #423 on: January 05, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
First I'd like to say thank you for the build along to 4est!  And let's not forget everyone else who added a little special touch or adjusted the spec a bit here and there.  i have learned alot about the practical/specific side after all the theory I've read (I'm about 1/2 way through TBB 3). Actually seeing it is helping tremendously.  

I just finished my daughter's kid-bow from the same material. 47" NTN 3/4" wide at grip with a straight taper to tips. 7lb at 18" for her 7yr old frame.  Belly taper according to tillering stick tales (what it seemed to need).  I did make a few mistakes, which shows in the 1" set, but it shoots and hasn't broken (yet)!

I got paranoid and backed it early on (at floor tiller) with linen from the fabric store - set in wood glue.

I'm going to try my bow next following the pyramid pattern used here.  I don't have a bandsaw so I was thinking of using my router table to remove the bulk off the belly.  Just throwing that out there for those who's tool situation might be similar.  I'll try to remember to get pics of my set-up etc as I go.

Chomping at the bit to get started, but it will have to wait till this weekend before I start (assuming I can find a decent board).

Thanks again!
Greet every morning with a smile. That way it won’t know what you’re planning to do to it - Brandon Sanderson

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #424 on: January 08, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
i havent used a router table , but im sure as long as youre careful , and stay outside your lines , you should be great.

i use a sur-form and files/rasps. anything more than that is gravy.

lets see that daughters bow.

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline kountzer0

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
My Daughter's bow is nearly finished (the finish is drying as we speak.

I'll post a picture or two tomorrow.

I just recieved the dacron, serving and 6 kid arrows form an online supplier, so I made her an endless loop type string.  The upper limb is bending quite a bit more than the lower - but hey it didn't break - which astounds me still.

I also acquired a beauty of a hickory board - almost all heart wood with enough really really straight grain for 2 2" bow staves!  A paltry $12 and it was mine.  :)
Greet every morning with a smile. That way it won’t know what you’re planning to do to it - Brandon Sanderson

Offline kountzer0

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #426 on: January 09, 2011, 01:03:00 PM »
OK here are a couple of pics of the kidbow:

On the tillering stick at 18" draw...the lighting is kinda funny...

On the floor (the tiles are 12"

I scraped through the finish on the handle for a glue-on arrow shelf which is in process now.

Thanks for all the great posts!

Offline 1oldbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #427 on: January 09, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »
kountzer0 that sure looks nice congrats!
Always say what you mean, that way people will know you mean what you say.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #428 on: January 09, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Nice bow

Offline paparick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #429 on: January 15, 2011, 02:03:00 AM »
I want to start one, and I went and got some wood, but I accedentally got 1x2 instead of 1x4.  I want to make one out of this and back it with some fiberglass cloth I have.  I will use TBIII or URAC to glue up the wood, then epoxy on the backing.  Do you think that will work?  Thanks for the great tutorial by the way!  Too bad I missed the 1x4 instructions.
Saxon Hawk Longbow
Bear 76er Custom 50lb "Ugmo"
Bear 76er Custom 40lb "Steve"

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #430 on: January 15, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
I wouldn't use fiberlgass cloth.  It's both heavy and much too strong for the compression strength of oak.  Simply back it with brown paper, which is easy, cheap, and effective.  Here's a link to George T.'s site where he gives directions on making a red oak bow from a 1x2.  Hope this helps!

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/boardbowbuildalong.html
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline hova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #431 on: January 15, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
i have a 1x2 that i have in the works for a brush stalker , and its sort of layed out like a pyramid , but i have a feeling i will have to tiller the belly a bit.

it might come in under weight , but the 50" pyramid that is 2.5 at the fades to .5 at the tips , needs some good reinforcement at the handlle , or it will end up breaking or being a 10# kids bow... i love the way it looks , but im not sure if i should have shaped the handle before adding overlays and whatnot...

-hov
ain't got no gas in it...mmmhmmm...

Offline rover brewer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #432 on: January 15, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
I want to do a jute twine wrap handle is ther somewhere I might get directions on how to do this.
john 3:16

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #433 on: January 18, 2011, 06:17:00 PM »
well im deffinatly going to try building one. really really good detailed build along.  mine will most likly suck but be fun anyways.

thanks the bow looks awsome
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Aznboi3644

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #434 on: January 19, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
If you have a 1x2 I'd suggest on a lever tipped bow that bends through the handle like a mollegabet.

Very easy to tiller..You only have half the limbs to scrape.  I've made one 50@26 with moderate set.  Still a fast shooter because of the very low mass tips

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #435 on: January 21, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
4est trekker I have question regarding the handle. On my frist failed board bow I felt the handle section was a tad to small for my hand. I like the updated handle idea on page 21.  When I shape the handle can I just round the fades more or do I have to change the width of the limb too?

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #436 on: January 22, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Twitchstick: You can round the fades more in the non-working (i.e. thicker) section.  I hope that helps.  :)
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #437 on: January 22, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
Yes,and again thanks for all your time.

Offline DaveKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #438 on: January 22, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
I came along recently and found this build-along.  I recently retired and have a little time on my hands so I figured I could pass some of it by giving this a try.

I didn't take any pictures during the basic building steps but I did make a bit of a video when I first tested the bow (linked in here).

I used a 1 x 3 instead of a 1x4 and left the limbs about .480".

Here's a video of the first shots and a little of the bow.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #439 on: January 22, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Nice bow DaveKing, What poundage did you wind up at?
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©