Author Topic: string alignment on osage selfbow  (Read 518 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
string alignment on osage selfbow
« on: November 01, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I am having some issues getting the string to come down the center of my handle in my ltest selfbow.  Every time I heat the likmb and try to bend it in the right direction, it never holds its place and creeps back to the same place.  Nohing I am doing is helpng.  Cana bow be heated too mch and develpoe a memory?  I know that when I am heating I am getting it hot enough all the way through. I am getting frustrated, btI won't gve up!  Has any one else had this problem?
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: string alignment on osage selfbow
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Is the string on the handle? On what side is it off? If you leave the nocks wide and the handle wide you can make minor adjustments without heating. I can explain if you are interested. Jawge

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
What George said!  Will you post pics for us to look at.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
You can heat and bend at the handle or tips, but not the working part of the limb once it is tillered. Working sections of limb will return to their original shape and will loose cast if you heat them. Bend it at the handle (takes a long slow heat to get this thick area to bend) or in the last six inches of the tip. In the future, try to get the sting (tips) lined up after floor tiller and before tillering further. I like to put the roughed out bow on the cull after floor tiller stage - when it is first starting to bend at the bow blank stage - and induce some backset and line up the tips.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Bend the tips or handle at the fades and go a little past where you think you need to be. I always over correct and go back a little if I need to.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
I think that I may have messed up here.  The bow is tillered already and it just sort of crept in this direction.  I am going to try to heat the tips up now because heating the handle has not worked yet.  I always leave the nocks wide as per advice here, but this one is too messed up.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
I've made bows where the string was not on the handle. Not a problem really. How far off is it? Jawge

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
Feel the thickness of the limbs, not only along their length but also side to side. If the limb are moving to one side or the other as time goes by it is an indication that the limb thickness, from side to side, is uneven making one side of the limb stronger than the other and pulling the limb to the weak side.
  Heating and bending will bring the limbs back into line but if they are uneven they will go back to where that were before. You have to "fix" the problem to get good results.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©