Author Topic: lets see some different osage bows  (Read 738 times)

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
lets see some different osage bows
« on: November 11, 2009, 02:06:00 AM »
I am planning a bow build according to 4est trekkers build along but I really like the looks of some of the osage bows. Especially the recurves like Pat's in his avatar and the ones that look like they are all wavy, and knots really give a bow some character.
 I need some good ideas so I can start letting the shavings fly after I get my board bow done.

I have yet to build a bow but have been doing alot of reading and just started on the bowyers bibles and I think I'm about geared up and ready to go.
Kris
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: lets see some different osage bows
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
Here's the first osage character bow I built this summer.  A friend of mine and fellow bowyer helped me lay the bow out, especially around the knot in the upper limb.  Shoots a whole lot straighter than it looks!  I don't have any full draw pictures, though.

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 05:32:00 PM »
4est, that is awesome!  Beautiful, and full of character.  I'm amazed at people who can work with wood like that.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
Here are a few on mine...
  The first is a static recurve that bends through the handle and has cherry bark backing. This bow was built from stump to finished bow in about 2 months. It began to fret and I'm convinced it was still too green(dry but green)and that why it fretted. It's up for a redo!

The next in a bow I built in memorial of Herb Reynolds of CTA. Same osage as the first with cherry bark backing. This bow was raffled off at the NC State Shoot near Hickory, NC.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
I LOVE that cherry bark backing.  Have you ever done any posting on how to do it, maybe as a build-along?  I've gotta try that.  That's just fantastic!    :thumbsup:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
4est, I haven't done a build along but it is pretty simple. I prepped the bow just like with other backings and used TBIII for the glue.   The cherry bark pieces(choke cherry) were cut slightly bigger than the area of the limb to be covered. Unfortunately with choke cherry bark it is peeled from around the tree and not lengthwise so the strips are limited in length.
   I add glue to the back of the bow and bark and put them together. I used a pressure strip made on styrofoam blue board then wrapped with cloth strips. When wrapped, the blue board undulates with the back of the bow so you get good adhesion on an uneven back. When cured(I usually wait 24 hours) use a rasp and scraper to trim the bark to the bow along the edges.
   The ends are wrapped with silk thread set in super glue and the entire bow is finished with 5 to 6 coats of Tru-Oil. On hunting bows I also add a quick spray of satin poly to cut the shine of the Tru-Oil.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
Those are pretty sweet bows I must say.
Pat B, I got family in Hickory NC. That's where my stepdad grew up at. It sure is some pretty country, If they had some underground coal mining I'd pack up and be there.
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Here is a bow with a lot of character, almost done, just needs a few more coats of finish and the leather handle. 64",65@28

The guy I made it for called me a few months later saying the bow broke but it wasn't my fault and wondered if I could fix it. Turned out he had been in a hurry getting out of his car during a hunt in Illinois and slammed the car door on the top limb tip, broke it off below the overlay.

I shortened the top limb an inch, flipped the bow and made the bottom limb the top, glued on some wood to reshape the handle and made a really great bow at the same poundage as before.

The above is one reason I make bows with equal length limbs. Equal length limbs gives one some wiggle room for future adjustments.

Here is the owner and a stone point kill on a hog with this bow.

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Good looking bows,wished I knew how to post pictures here,but just love looking at yalls.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
Here's a snakey little osage bow I built earlier this year

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 01:24:00 AM »
Man I sure will be glad when I learn how make a bow like these.
I started on a piece of osage and it's got some twist and warp and knots and all the good stuff. Not really the best piece to start out learning to build bows but I figure if I can get a shooter out of it I'll get a shooter out of all most anything.
I'll post some pics in a different post later in a week or two and you wise fella's can give me some advice and an education.
 Keep the pics coming I'm lovin it!
Kris
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »

Poor fellar don't hardly know what he's gettin' into.  LOL  Enjoy the ride SnS.

I don't build near as much as I used to, and don't take pics much anymore.  So here's a couple of old favorites from way back.  You may be the only one who hasn't seen them already.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Never get tired of lookin David   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Well Dano all I got right at the moment is a piece of osage thats ruffed out and a red oak board that's layed out. Hard to find to time to get after it cause deer season is in but I will post some pics of the osage that I am working cause I definetly need some advice on that beast.

DCM, That bow with the knot whole in is Sweet as all get out. Looks cool.

You guy's wish me luck cause I got this dandy buck getting under my skin and I need to plug him so I can get to making some sawdust. LOL
Kris
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
I hear ya Kris, I think most guys back your way don't start building bows till after the season is over. I know I didn't.

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
This is about the time I start looking at trees to cut come February.  Don't start any serious bowyerin' until then, although I got a big stave I'm working up I promised a boy last spring and forgot plumb about it.  I'm actually cleaning out old bow wood to burn in the fireplace too.  I don't know what I was thinking when I hauled that crap home, and up the stairs into the attic above my shop.  But it's gonna burn fantastic.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »
Yeah, I been looking for some trees to cut. That Osage grows all over round here. Alot of farmers just bulldoze it. Wish I knew then what I'm Learning now I'd have all kinda bow staves
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
You may have already seen this one I did last year. Start to finish slideshow. Just click on the pic!

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Some more from my past

>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter