Author Topic: thoughts on ash stave  (Read 301 times)

Offline oneraindog

• Trad Bowhunter
thoughts on ash stave
« on: November 11, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
hello i am new to the forum. well, ive spent most of my time looking, this is my first post

anyway, i started a primitive skills apprenticeship in october and we are now moving in to bow making. yesterday we drew numbers for picking staves and i got first.

i picked an ash stave that looks large enough to split in two for a piggy back bow which is nice.

what im trying NOT to do is regretting not picking a nice vine maple stave.

i would like to hear any thoughts on the pro's and cons of ash and what to expect or be wary of in the bow making. i would also love to hear that i made a good choice haha. or if i SHOULD regret not picking the maple  :(

there is also some twist to the stave. propeller twist i think it is called. does that get straightened out or does a bow always have that if it starts that way?

a million questions and i cant be calling my instructor every 5 minutes so im turning to you guys haha.

thanks for the time

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: thoughts on ash stave
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Ash makes a very good bow. For a 28" draw go 66" to 68" long, 1 1/2" wide at the fades and out 8" or so before tapering to 1/2" tips(to be reduced to 3/8" or less later). I prefer a symmetric lay out with the center of the handle the center of the bow. Make a mark 2" on either side of center for your 4" handle and 1 1/2" to 2" for the fades; where the handle "fades" into the limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©