Author Topic: dead wood or green ?  (Read 384 times)

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
dead wood or green ?
« on: November 12, 2009, 06:05:00 PM »
was thinking of trying tim bakers directions on building a bow for the first time and was going to start off with a 8-9 inch stick of tree about 6 ft long thats how tall i am  but i was wondering if the wood would be ok off a dead but standing tree or would it be better off a still live tree that i can get either or no problem .

thanks,
Scott

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: dead wood or green ?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
If you find some osage, it is fine dead and even laying on the ground since it does not rot. Most other woods should be harvested green and split into stave and dried.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 10:46:00 PM »
Standing dead osage, black locust and mulberry may work but still may have too much moisture in them. Standing dead whitewoods are a definite  no. There's info on my site. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Our standing dead locust delaminates. The early wood rots and it separated between growth rings.  
  You will have better control if you cut it green and cure it out. That can be done in a relatively short time so a bow ain't too far away.
  Read George's site!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I cut some dead locust yesterday that had been laying on the ground for about 4 or five years. I got about six logs around 10 to 12 inches. I may get 5 or six bow staves out of the bunch maybe one or two more if I'm lucky. It is riddled with grubs, other than the grubs it looks pretty mo delaminating or the such just alot of worm holes.

I needed some dried wood so I went ahead and got it. I'm gonna go back and cut some green and let it season but I guess if your need of some dry wood you could get what you can.

I do plan on going after some dry osage that's been laying I think it'll be allright, Might be a little wormy but I'm sure they don't go past the first ring or so on it.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
only bad thing is there is no osage here in md guess it don't grow here that i know of .

thanks,
Scott

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 09:44:00 AM »
A lot of times, borers will eat all the way through osage so it really depends.  Relying on dead wood is risky but risk can be fun too.  Best thing to do is find big stuff.  Quarter it and split out belly splits in the field.  See what you got.  That way you aren't hauling wood around that you might not be able to use.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »
so far I have been lucky. All the bores I have encountered were kind enough to leave me enough room for bows. Most of my osage has been cut for a year or better beforw I got it worked down.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©