Author Topic: anyone ever leave out the glass? (a bit of colsure for now!)  (Read 923 times)

Offline Russell S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: anyone ever leave out the glass? (a bit of colsure for now!)
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
just measured it i was way off its 7# at 29"  maybe i will pike it down a bit!!
does everyone else look up when someone yells "DUCK!!"?

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
I'd back it with bamboo if were me, but I'll give it a 50/50 chance of survival.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Russell S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
here it is at 29" (70" ntn) you can see my sweet 3 bundle Flemish tillering in this one, 15strands might be a bit much for a 7# DRAW!!!.  i like the shape.

Offline Russell S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
you have a lot of faith dano!!!! I give it about 0 chance because i know i am going to keep tweaking it till it breaks... then i will know what not to do! it did survive the first draw that's better then the last test bow!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
7 pounds is not a lot of stress on them limbs, but dang it sure looks good.   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Russell S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
yea i like the looks, kenny's package showed up yesterday, there is a 0.380 boo stack w/brown glass waiting for the testing to be done.  i piked to 66"  drew to 32" smooth now the draw weight is a whooping 8# @ 29"  and the string just clears the limbs at the same 8ish inch brace height.  i think the thick stack may come in a bit heavy for me to shoot!!!  if anyone whats the auto cad or a pdf of the shape i am more then willing to email it out!  its amazing what you can do with 7.50 a bottle of TBIII and some imagination! that's why i love this so much.  think i might try a paper backing to stick with the poor boy skeem  still considering tips.

its twisting a bit,  i think i need to sand on the side that isn't bending as much is that right?

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 09:02:00 PM »
"its twisting a bit, i think i need to sand on the side that isn't bending as much is that right?"

Yep you got it. I am surprised you only gained a pound cutting it down four inches.

Offline Russell S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
thats a 14% gain!  i was expecting more too.  i am baking a "cloth" back on now.  i am not really sure what it is, looks like a roll of fiberglass tape.  picked it up at a garage sale for 50 cents.  it doesn't wet out like fiberglass. i am also not to sure how accurate the bathroom scale is at 8#

Offline Russell S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 01:14:00 AM »
so here is the update on  the all wood test bow....  it finally broke...  i drew it to 38"  (with my feet and a stick!)  held up to it...  so i decided to unstring it, being there is not fiberglass to prevent string follow, the bow stinger was not with in reach so i just bent it by hand a bit popped the string off then bent it just a tiny bit backwards to get the loop over the tip,  POP! the only thing holding on the last 18 inches of the lower limb was the backing.  i don't know if it oak was just that week in tensel strength or if it got crushed drawing to 38"  maybe a bit of both.  anyways it served its purpose,  i am going to make a all wood test bow off the kids form i cut tonight,  i will update these results once i have a 36" all wood to play with.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2009, 05:42:00 AM »
I guess if a Navy nuclear engineer can't play with something until it breaks, then who can?  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Russell S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
yea i can fix till broken well....  its in my blood...

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
That bow held up well ,congratulations Russell. It don't don't take a lot to break a wooden bow backwards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©