Author Topic: help with strings  (Read 253 times)

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
help with strings
« on: November 15, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
just wondering i am new to this bow building and so on  but would like to know how do you go about getting a string do you make your own buy them or what i am building a board bow  it is red oak and is 75 inches in lenght  i'm pretty tall lol.
but where do i start with the string thing any help would be apprec.

thanks,
Scott

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help with strings
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
Hey, Scott.  You can use the search function on this site to look for tutorials/info on string making.  The search function is great, and you can limit it to certain forums to reduce the number of matches you'll have to search through.

Below are two quick links for making a string jig.  The first is from this site.  The other is from an outside source and includes many good directions on making the jig and string start to finish.

http://www.tradgang.com/stuff_bin/stringjig.jpg

http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/flemish/flemish.html

For what it's worth, I'm planning on doing a string build-along as part of the bow build-along I did, but it will most likely be redundant as there are plenty of good resources available already.  Also, don't be afraid to check out YouTube.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: help with strings
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
anyone remember John Scifres's tillering string tutorial?  I cant for the life of me remember how to go about making them short of other then you ripped the hair off your thighs in the process lol....I remember rolling them but this last one really is bad ugg.

as for regular string building..if you're looking for a video, look up doing the twist.  You'll learn to do flemish with and without a jig, and also endless loop strings.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©