Author Topic: snaking question  (Read 435 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
snaking question
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »
Where can I find a good article on backing a selfbow with snakeskins?
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline bubby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: snaking question
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
go to the how to, there's a build along there

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
I just checked it out and it leavesd me with a few questions like how much do I scrape off the scales?  How for around should I wrap the limbs? Do I need to rough up the surface of my selfbow first or will the glue hold to it as is?
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
I rough the surface a little and put them on with TT3 be sure to get all the air pockets out as the glue is drying,I just keep working my way up and down pressing torward the outer edges.After the skins have dried I take a soft rag and buff down the limb the way the skin is laid.I put the head at the riser and the tail
at the tips the buff from head to tail till no more scales come off.Then I use tru oil to seal,I put a coat on and let it dry overnight and buff lightly with 000 steel wool and repeat till it is smooth,depending on the skins it will take 4 to about 10 coats to get them smooth.Hope this helps.O ya be sure to buff the tru oil from head to tail also.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
Thanks pappy I might try it today.  What do you use to trim the skins, can I roll the skin over the edge of my limb and use a fine file to finish the edges?

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Some use a file, I use a rubber sanding block with 220 paper, you don't want to take a lot of wood off when you sand the skins, if you hold the file or sanding block at a 45 deg. angle to the edge, it works pretty good.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Tommy Leach

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Another trick I learned from Brad Merkel to remove scales is after the skin has dried; wipe it down with rubbing alcohol (back and forth). The alcohol gets under the scales and as it evaporates it causes a slight pressure increase, thus loosening the scale. I then take a piece of masking tape and put over the skin. Rub the tape down so it makes good contact and peel from tail to head. This will generally remove 80-90% of the scales. Just repeat as needed to get them all off. It also helps to get into the sunlight to see any scales that don’t come off. I also do as Dano to "cut" the edge of the skin with the back.
Tommy
Oklahoma Selfbow Society - President
Oklahoma Selfbow Society - Past President
OSS Founding Member

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
I like duct tape for removing scales, lots more stickum than other tapes.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »
That's cool, Eric. You can see where the scales are left on the skin with your trick.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 04:20:00 AM »
I have had duct tap tear the skins if they are
the really thin ones.I use a fine file at a 45 like Dano said to trim the edges.
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
I've seen that too Pappy, guess we shouldn't use the 100mph stuff. 4/0 steel wool will remove the scales pretty good too, just rub lightly with the scales.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
wow thatnks for the advice. I still haven't tried it yet, I'm really worried I will mess them up!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©