Author Topic: first timer  (Read 459 times)

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
first timer
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
I am going to order a take-down longbow kit from binghams for my first build. I know what binghams recomends for the first time bowyer, but what is truly essential in your opinion, tool wise, for the first timer.

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: first timer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
I think you could do almost all of it with just hand tools if you wanted to (saws and various files/rasp to shape the riser). The string groove rasp binghams sells is really nice (might be $6 or something).  

There are alternative ways to the $55 T/D jig.  You will still need the tap, but you can make your own alignment jig (search some previous build alongs for some ideas).  

But the three tools I use on every bow are: 1)bandsaw 2) osc. spindle sander and 3) random orbital sander. If I were to have only one of those 3 it would be the osc. spindle sander  I shape almost all of the riser using a Rigid $200 belt/spindle sander (home depot) and they are great for getting your fades super thin as well.    

good luck

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »
What bjansen said!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
thanks guys, I probably have the hand tools, will buy the takedown jig, saving for bandsaw and the sander. I am going to tackle this project in Jan. after bow season.

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »
Also, I was wandering if there is a jig out there to do your string grooves more precisely?

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
The biggest challenge for me was getting the perfect lines drawn for a guide.  I made this little gadget which draws perfect lines.  When narrowing my tips during profiling, I take them down until they just fit in this jig.  I then draw the lines.  A small jewlers triangle file, followed by a tile cutting coping saw, and then finally a chainsaw file, and my grooves are right on.

I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
That is a nice little jig, I will have one of those, Thanks. Also, has anyone done any checkering of their grips, and what kind of tools does it take? Thanks for any help, I am going to need all the help I can get.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
I have seen some stippled grips,done with a drill bit,looks pretty nice. Just little dimples all over the grip area.

I'm not sure I'd want a no-slip grip on my bows.

Never tried it tho, just the rubber dot gloves,I hate that feel!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline macster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
Thanks Kenny, never thought about that. I know over the years I have gone from leather handles on my bows, to having bare handles, just feels better to me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©