Author Topic: Broke my first bow (pics added)  (Read 570 times)

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Broke my first bow (pics added)
« on: December 08, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Well, it finally happened.  I broke my first selfbow.  I had six bows come out shooting.  Each bow would shoot faster than the one before it and I started to feel like I was ready for a challange so I picked up a stave with six knots and a bit of snake and had it up to a draw of 24inches pullin about 55 pounds.  The tiller was looking good and I was in the home stretch.  Then out of the blue I heard that horrible sound...CRACK.  Ever so small at first.  I failed to follow the grain through one of the snakes and had the top layer split and crack.  Didn't break all the way and was thinking of trying a sinew bandaid, but then I saw another spot with a similiar flaw in the same limb and figured that I should just take the hint.  Oh well, live and learn and keep building... or breaking. :-)
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broke my first bow (pics added)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
If you ain't breakin' you aint makin'! After 20 years I still break on now and then. Jawge

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Thank you for all your support too George.  It is because of guys like you that I was able to build em in the first place.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline bjansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
Its alright DVS..part of making them is indeed breaking them...it hurts less when it costs less and it hurts less when you arent that far into it.....i broke a $150 dryad blank once....that was hard to get over

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
yeah, I only broke a free stave, but I did have a lot of time in it.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Just when you think you've got it....BOOM!
  Sorry it broke on you but if you learned something from the experience, it is not a failure. Will you post pics of the bow. It doesn't take much osage to make a good bow. Might be able to salvage it as a kids bow if nothing else.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
here are a few pics of the bow.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
the break is on the left side about straight down from the end of the 2 by 4. I can't pull it any farther anymore, but the tiller at 24 was pretty nice.  Both limbs were bending very smooth and I was going to work the ends of the limbs the rest of the way.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
DVS, you are welcome. The left limb at mid limb was doing most of the bending. It needed more bending near the handle. Same thing with the right limb and it is a little stiffer. Jawge

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
yup i broke everyone i tried to make at $80 bucks a pop for americain white ash i dont make em anymore
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JMartin

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
"Then out of the blue I heard that horrible sound...CRACK"  That'a sickening sound.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©