Author Topic: Longbow Past Center???  (Read 581 times)

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Longbow Past Center???
« on: December 08, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Anybody ever cut a longbow past center? My 3pc T/D Longbow is 1.4" wide and cut to center. That leaves .7" of material in the sight window at the narrowest area. If I cut past center for a carbon arrow, 5/16"/2=.1625", that should leave a little over .500" of material in the sight window area. I always use accent strips for added strength and this bow will have two 1/16" phenolic accent strips to go along with the 1/4" of bacote and the riser block will be Walnut stained Dymonwood.  Been wanting to try this for a while. Think I'll have enough mass?

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Longbow Past Center???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
Probably.  :)
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Haven't used dymondwood(is it brittle?),but sounds like it will work.

I don't like mine to be exactly centershot,I figure if you make the arra bend at least a little the same way each shot(as in having to bend around riser),you will have more consistency shot to shot. Hope that made some kinda sense!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:27:00 AM »
I understand what you're saying Kenny. I've shot bows where the riser was cut past center and they did seem to be more forgiving of spine but at the same time it didn't seem I could as consistantly windage wise.

Offline Jason Scott

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
Isn't dymondwood just like action wood, laminated hardwood? It should be considerably stronger than ordinary wood stock. Not sure if the resin is more brittle or not. It's 29 ply per inch.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
Thanks for the input. Aren't recurves center shot?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
I kind of wish more people would cut longbows to centershot.  This gives you more room to add a pressure strip on the site window effectively pushing the arrow back short of center again without it becoming an issue.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
Those that compete with a longbow require a bow cut 1/8" from center, I do believe.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
At the IBO Trad Worlds this year, they had a "Modern Longbow" class that did not specify ammount of center shot. I think they could have easily named this class "Hybrid". This is the class that I had to compete in because my sight window is cut to center. I have not had a problem competing in the recurve class at other shoots. I've been wanting to try making a riser center shot or closer to center shot. Just an additional 0.100" can mean ALOT to arrow spine and forgivness of the bow. It SEEMS to be a more forgiving set-up. If it doesn't work out I'll just go back to one of my other risers.

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
pebowbender, What distance do you shoot at competitions?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
apex..maybe that should be an option listed then...I dont compete.   Adding that pressure point pushes the arrow almost off the shelf ugg.  Oh well....

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »
I build my straight profile and mild D/R longbows 1/8" from center.  My pronounced D/R (hybrid) longbow is cut to center.  I can and do vary it depending on what someone wants, but that is my "standard".  I am currently building one of my straight ones with a cut to center riser, as per customer request.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
dunno why I never bothered to ask last time I ordered a bow LOL!  oh well...I'll have to live with it.

Offline pebowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
IdahoCurt, The max distance at the Trad Worlds was 30 yards. The targets averaged about 25 yards.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©