Author Topic: Purpleheart stain ?  (Read 537 times)

Offline JWarnken

• Trad Bowhunter
Purpleheart stain ?
« on: December 09, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Does anyone have some stain recommendations for purpleheart?  I would like it to have a very good purple color when I'm done.  I asked at hardware stores and got two different answers, one said oil based and the other said water based. ??  They did agree that I should use something with no pigment.
Thanks for your help
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
-Twain

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Purpleheart stain ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
You want to make it look even more purple?  You can buy dye powders through the bigger woodworking stores.  Some can be used with alcohol and others with water.  Dye the wood, seal it with something then put the topcoat of your choice on.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline JWarnken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Thanks for your ideas Jeremy.  I want it to be purple, but not to get to a neon purple:)
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
-Twain

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »
They're not neon though, you can still see the grain, and the colors I've looked at are pretty mild.

Offline JWarnken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Thanks for the information guys.  I was just kidding about the neon. I found a way to get the right shade of purple that I am after.  I am going over it lightly with a small propane torch to lightly burn it.  Thanks once again for your help.  I love this site:)
-Twain

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
Sorry, took ya literally.   :knothead:    :bigsmyl:

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Try Woodburst stains, Rockler sells them.  Oil base stains that can match purpleheart exactly.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©