Author Topic: Griz roller bearing guides  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Griz roller bearing guides
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
On my Grizzly bandsaw the blade roller bearings don't last very long. I think my dust collection system pulls very fine dust through them and locks them up in a couple of months. I washed my last batch out enough to get them turning and was amazed at the dust that came out of them.

The local bearing shop wants and arm and leg for just 4 bearings, $7 or $8 each if I remember correctly.

I remember one bowmaker mentioning he was buying them for $2 each somewhere but don't remember which message board or person.

Anybody have a good, cheap source for buying these bearings?  I need bunch of them as I plan to start bow making at full tilt as soon as deer season is over.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Griz roller bearing guides
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
I answered my own question by doing a little searching. You can get them on the auction site for 39 cents each shipped if you buy a hundred.

Turns out this size bearing is the standard skateboard/roller skate bearing.

The size is 608ZZ

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
Eric, I was going to suggest skateboard bearings. I bought some for my spine tester a few years back from a local skateboard shop. I was surprised how cheap..just not as cheap as you found.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
Eric, you can get 10 qty for 4.95 at the big A web store. I'll PM you the link. Normally I have a bunch of those in my shop. I was going to send you some but it looks like I need to place an order myself!
-Tom
Got wood? - Tom

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I buy them at a local machiune shop for about 3.00 ea with no shipping.

These are sealed,the originals were open,that is why they don't last with hardwoods!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
I am with Kenny, Get some sealed bearings and they will last a long time. I am still on the ones I replaced 4 yrs ago(lots of bows) when I bought a set of used carter guides that froze up. .39 is pretty cheap tho. Can't wait to see the "full tilt" bow making from you, Have fun.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
www.vxb.com  is where I've been getting my replacement bearings from.  Very resonable price per 10 at a time.  They last a long time and I cut 100s of board ft of hard woods. dino
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
I need some bearings for my Ultimate 14" Grizzly.  Eric, what did you go with and are you happy with them?  If you bought 100 I'd be willing to buy some from you.  

Also, what size are the bigger bearings that are behind the blade?  I should get some of those too.
Chad

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
I bought 16 off the auction site to try. They were around $12 shipped. I am in shop remodeling mode and haven't installed them on my saw yet. I suspect they will be fine.

Chad, if you look at your Giz manual, the part number for the larger bearing will probably be the size. I found this out when I miked the dimensions of the smaller bearing and looked it up on the web for the bearing size.

Offline fixer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 02:32:00 PM »
The best price I found was to order from Grizzly. I wash mine out in solvent then relube and start again.
  :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
I have a Sears Bandsaw. I do not like the hard block blade guides. Been thinking about rigging up bearings instead. Anyone ever done this?

Offline Hojo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
ttt for Roy's good question.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 09:47:00 PM »
Well lookie what I found. Little pricey, but gave me a good idea:)

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/bandrollersfordelta14saws.aspx

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
What's your idea Roy? Got a 12" Craftsman 1 1/8 hp with the metal blocks also, but from what I've gathered, they can't be replaced with the bearings. ART

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 08:38:00 AM »
Hey guys with Craftsman saws, try this place out. Kinda pricey, but will solve many headaches.
  http://www.carterproducts.com/
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 01:16:00 PM »
Thanks Tom!   ART

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Art, I want to get roller bearings on my bandsaw in place of the blocks. Just makes sense to me. My Sears is only about 8 years old, 1 1/2 hp, 14 inch, the link Tom put up is for older Sears bandsaws. But I have all the tools I need to conjure something up:) The link I posted above, those bearings could work, but I question how good those smaller bearings may be. Not that I do a lot of cutting on the Bandsaw. But the roller bearings seem like a great idea. With the blocks, if I make them too tight, it slows the saw down. Too lose and the blade wonders off a bit.

Eric, you have any pictures of your setup?

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Looks like Carter's has a conversion kit for my model Roy. Says for "hex" post only though. Don't have the slightest idea want a hex post is though. Any idea guys? ART

Offline Hojo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
Art-
Is it referring to the shape of the solid blocks that you would be replacing?  Looks like some of Carter's stabilizers are designed to go into either round, square, or hex-shaped block slots.

Offline Teagus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
Picked up "The Complete Guide to the Band Saw" Sunday at Rockler. Kickin myself for not getting it sooner. Four types of setups

A. block guides & diagonal thrust
B. parallel guides & diagonal thrust
C. diagonal guides & parallel thrust
D. diagonal guides & diagonal thrust

I have "B" on my 20" Accura. Thinking about C or D. Also, I have no tension adjust scale. Looking at a used Starrett tension gauge I found for sale today.

Btw, the author holds the patents on Cool Blocks.

Roy, ever make it to Hamilton Tool in Beaver Falls? It's an evil place.

Mike W.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©