Author Topic: harvesting osage orange  (Read 2158 times)

Offline bowur

• Trad Bowhunter
harvesting osage orange
« on: December 10, 2009, 07:49:00 PM »
I know a guy who has some big osage orange trees over 400 years old that he wants to get rid of   :p   . He says that the woods so tough it would ruin his chainsaw blade. Do you think thats true? Has anyone ever tried taking one down with an axe or a handsaw. Also, how long does it take for staves to dry and could you possibly leave it in a recurved position and have it dry that way?

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: harvesting osage orange
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
How could he know how old they are if he can't cut them down for ruining his saw?

Depends on when its cut, if its split into staves, bark left on or taken off. Do a search for osage and there will be lots of info. I posted recently on drying issues.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
I've seen sparks fly from a chainsaw while cutting osage! There were no nails or wire in the tree either.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Guess you better take an extra chain and some files. LOL
 I've been looking at some osage and plan on cutting some this winter.
 Guess I better get an extra chain and some files myself.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline bowur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
has anyone ever cut down osage with just hand tools like axe or handsaw

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
400 years old  ???  i aint buyin it  maybe 100  and ya iv seen osage will eat a saw up and some cuts like butter  key is go prepared   brock
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
A smaller more manageable size is preferable. You can cut osage trees with an ax or a hand saw but I wouldn't want to try that with a big old tree. It would take you forever. Try to find a tree(s) that is 2" to 8" in diameter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 06:21:00 AM »
we have the stuff growing all over the property. Use it for bows, use it for fence posts and use it for the fire....

Chainsaw is the best way to deal with it - but..... If your cutting anything over about 12 inches - you best have a STOUT chainsaw.... Even small (6 to 8 inch) trees will kill a small saw....

We cut a 8" tree not long ago with a chainsaw, it took awhile. The log was about 8 foot long and took two guys everything we had to pick it up and dump it into the hole to make a corner brace on a new fence line.... Stuff is heavy, dense and stout....

Hand sawing or axe - heheheheheh.... I have done it... went thru a axe handle and had to resharpen the axe 3 times. Took about an hour to cut a 7" round log.

altho, some is easy, most is tough as nails.

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
I hate to sound unpleasant, but I'm calling bull**** on a couple of things here.  First of all, there ain't 100 trees in this country over 200 year old, much less 400.  WRT to cutting osage, I'd rather cut osage than post oak.  I've cut trees, both live and dead, 14" on the butt end with a $99 el cheapo 16" Poulan chainsaw.  You need a sharp chain, need to get any dirt off the tree/log, and let the saw work rather than force it.  Again, I'd rather cut osage than lots of other stuff.  And I've seen sparks fly off a chain too, from seasoned post oak but if you run into a knot or mineral deposit it could happen in all manner of species I'd imagine.

Same thing about splitting osage.  I'd sooner split osage than elm, that's for sure.  Here wife is splitting one about 12" on the butt end... with a 14" hammer.

I cut my first osage tree with a bow saw.  Takes a little more time, but definately doable.

More tree cutting and processing stuff here.

http://home.comcast.net/~dcm4/site/?/photos/

On topic, it doesn't matter what the land owner thinks.  It's his tree and his saw.  If you want the tree, bring your own saw, and be thankful for the invite.

It takes a year per inch of thickness to dry wood, they say.  That said, you can make a bow from a standing tree in no less than 8 weeks.  And yes, you can and should clamp it to a caul when you fast process one.  Better scenario is to allow for 3 or 4 months, best case scenario, for a beginner to have a stave processed down and ready to start tillering.

Sorry for the rant... sometimes I just get fussy when my experience seems so different than others'.  Not claiming to be an expert but I've cut my share of firewood, at one time burning 3 cords a winter for about 10 years there.  And I've cut plenty of osage trees as well of all shapes and sizes for bow wood, two a year for the last 10 on average.  Ain't nothing magical about osage, and it's better many other species for cutting and splitting.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Living osage is easy to cut, standing dead takes a little more effort.

Like David I have cut more osage trees than I can remember, saw sparks fly from the chain once but suspect grit in the bark.

029 Stihl, sharp chain, and I can have an osage tree on the ground faster than I can describe the process on this thread.

Osage cutting myths have always spread among the bow making community.

Another thing, look at the limbs of a particularly large osage tree as they will probably have better bow wood in them than a gnarly trunk.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
I've not had much trouble cutting osage with a chain saw, as long as the chain is sharp. I have a manual aux oil pump on my saw so I can keep extra lube on the bar. A can of WD-40 doesn't hurt either. Use wedges as you go!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I totally agree with DMC.I cut my first O'sage tree's with a bow saw.Ofcourse the biggest was only 8"s and I was a lot younger.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
:clapper:
Skeater who?

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I'd opt for the blade attachment on the front of a bobcat skidsteer.
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »
DCM,
Why did you cut the osage so high up? (Top right corner of pic) Did it look too imposing closer to the ground or was it just to big around for your saw? Looks like your chain saw made a nice clean cut too.  :p  

Count the rings in that one and let us know what ya got in age. I'd say 50 to 60 yrs. but down south maybe a little less.

Joe

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
ermmm still standing behind what i said.. the osage on this property atleast - tears saws up, breaks handles and is rock tough - altho the dead dried stuff is tougher - live is still rock hard dense....

Dave

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Seems to be a lot of big stories about Osage   :rolleyes:   It's tough all right but I've cut it from Arkansas, thru Missouri into Illinois and never seen it that hard on a good chainsaw. I'm just sayin.    :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline DCM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
You make a good point Joseph.  90 years of barbed wire was buried in the lower part of that stump.  Well according to uncle the fence row was planted in 1920.  The tree was about 70 rings if I recall the right one, and correctly.  There are trees over 100 on the place, easily.  They filed the land grant on this place, early 1800s.

It was the second tree I'd cut that day.  This fence row runs around two sides of 160 acres.  

This first one was dead and down, but off the ground.  It was hard compared to this live green one.  Poor rings though.  

This one was leaning but not on the ground and while I pinched my saw on the relief cut it was still too shallow... even after I pecked at it, not having sufficient angle.  When I made the felling cut it split out up the center of the tree.  I about cried.  It was a good tree even despite the loss of some of the butt end.  

I had three more full sections and some junk from the tops.  Not real fine compared to some of the stuff in the midwest, but they ya'll got that ancient dirt.

I ain't proud of the job on this one, but if you've cut in an osage thicket, it may be one of the most challenging felling jobs around.  

Were I to cite a hardship in such an endeavor, it would not be fear for the saw, rather what's behind the saw.  That ole farmer may have some insight into this I suspect.  But I'd hate for that or some other antecdote to stifle the ambition of the next guy pining on fetchin his first osage tree.  

I'm sorry for my harsh tone.  It was sincerely well intentioned, but clearly enjoyed enthusiasm in excess.

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 08:04:00 AM »
I'll agree there may be some exaggerations but, it is one tough wood and I love it. Not everything has to be taken literally here guy's. Exaggerations should be taken with a grain of salt. With your hands tell me how big your last fish was? You know, the inexperienced will find out for themselves and the experienced already know. Nothing is harder than the will of man,,, how's that for an exaggeration?   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©