Author Topic: Lamination order  (Read 443 times)

Offline Dwillo

• Trad Bowhunter
Lamination order
« on: December 12, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Hello everyone. This is my first post here after lurking around for a few weeks.I have a question about the order of lamination's in reguards to the wedge on a T/D limb. I was working on my third T/D bow and noticed when I took the first limb out of the press that I have two lamination's of wood on top of the wedge and only one under it. Is this a BIG mistake or will it be OK? This is a Bingham's kit and their instructions show two strips under the wedge. All my other T/D bows also have two under. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.

Henry David Thoreau

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lamination order
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:40:00 PM »
I think you will be OK. I have seen little difference between the stack over or under a wedge .

You have learned one of the best rules of bow building.

PAY ATTENTION !!!!     :banghead:  

Good luck on your build ....Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »
Just be sure to make the same mistake on the second limb, so that they react the same.
mike

Offline Dwillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guy's, I really appreciate it. I thought it would be OK, but wanted to run it passed you guy's on the forum. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I laid up the lamination's, obviously not about bow making. The first two came out great.

Grizz, noticed your from Paonia. When I was younger I used to spend my summers a few miles up Kebler pass. I miss those days.

Thanks again for the replies.

Dan
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.

Henry David Thoreau

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Dwillo, I still like to go up there, I fish lost lake a few times each summer.
mike

Offline sw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »
Hey there Dwillo,

When i first started making bows i did the same thing. As said - do it to the other limb and you're gonna be fine. Next time put the 2 lams infront of the wedge with the one on the belly. This keeps the majority of the stresses pulling against the wedge.

Altho i have also heard it doesn't make any difference and i have not done testing as to such - the bows i did that way are still shooting hard and strong. I just put the magority on the front side in a 3 and 5 lam set up or split them in an equal lam set up with the taper going on the front the wedge.

Dave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©