Author Topic: Board bow...which wood?  (Read 565 times)

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
Board bow...which wood?
« on: December 14, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
Given the choice of Ipe, Hickory, or Osage for the belly wood, and bamboo or hickory for backing, which combination would give the best performance on a D-shape profile?  Or would they all be fairly equal?
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Board bow...which wood?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Hard to beat osage backed with bamboo. I would not call this a board bow which usually means a simple self bow from red oak or similar. This would be a composite bow with unlimited potential.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 02:18:00 PM »
I don't do wood or bamboo backed bows. But when I want to make a board bow I reach for the red oak. I like hickory too. Jawge
 http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
For a deep belly, "D" shaped limb the ipe/boo combo is probably your best bet. Osage/boo will make a deep belly bow too but will take a little set. Hickory is a great backing for either ipe, osage or hickory. I prefer osage because I prefer osage over any other bow wood, whether it be for a backed bow or selfbow.
  For a selfbow I would take the hickory board over an ipe board or osage board. Hickory makes a very good selfbow. If I had osage or ipe boards they would get backed with hickory. Backing with hickory is a very easy, simple process. Backing with boo takes a lot of thoughtful prep first before glue-up. Probably better performance with a boo backing but IMO not as durable as a good hickory backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I'm thinking about building a 66" bow that's 65#@28".  Would that affect your choice?
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 05:48:00 PM »
Osage

Offline bubby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
I've built 65# simple hickory board bows that length, no problem if you get a good board, I used the ferrets board bow design on them, some of my first bows, good shooters, less than i" set. imo hickory is the board to use

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Hickory is not really suited to a D shaped profile, as it is strong in tension but weak in compression.  Thus, it's heavy use as a backing material.  Plus, it's pretty touchy in regards to humidity and moisture.  Actually, it's a downright sponge.  If I were building a 66" bow at that heavy of a weight, I would certainly make it a flatbow.  

Lookin' forward to seeing what you come up with!
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
I see you're from Georgia so this may help with your decision. Of all the woods you listed the Ipe was the only bow that didn't lose any draw weight from the heat and humidity that I tested this summer. Osage stays more elastic in cooler weather though. ART

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
It would depend a bit on your experience, if you have build a few bows I would say go with the Ipe.
But it's hard to beat Bamboo and Osage for a beginner.
Just my $0.02
Have fun and good luck.
Bert.  :saywhat:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©