Author Topic: Backing for a pyramid board bow.  (Read 385 times)

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
Backing for a pyramid board bow.
« on: December 15, 2009, 10:59:00 PM »
Does anybody back a pyramid style board bow such as the one in the buildalong thread.  If you do, what do you use (i.e. Linen, rawhide, sinew,) Thanks.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backing for a pyramid board bow.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
I just posted a bow identical to the one in the build-along (except for the handle design and limb width) that I backed with brown paper.  I like to use brown paper because it's light, but when saturated with glue creates a tight, strong, wood-fiber veneer.  Low mass is important when the limbs are that wide (in this case 2 1/4").  VERY easy to obtain and apply.
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
I built a hickory backed red oak pyramid bow a few years ago. MysticGuido(Sal) has it now. It is a good hard shooting bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bow-cephus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
Ok, so I'm very curious now, I understand the impotance of grain straightness in a board for a good bow; But does the backing (i.e. Hickory) need to be straight grained as well? Also how would Black Walnut do for a board bow backing?
Mathew 17:20-21

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Backing grain should be as straight as possible. I have made hickory backed bows with bad back violations that worked fine but don't recommend it as a general practice. I like experimenting with such things.
  Black walnut is not a good candidate as a backing strip. It will make a pretty good belly though if backed with hickory or better yet maple or elm backing.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I found your post 4est trekker, I think I'm gonna give it a try.  I might even mess around with some art work on the paper.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©