Author Topic: Unorthodox bow "repair along" anyone???  (Read 881 times)

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Unorthodox bow "repair along" anyone???
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »
Not sure if anyone is interested but I started an attempted repair yesterday on a bow that was busted completely in half.  Thought I'd maybe show some pictures if anyone wanted to see it.  I don't actually have start to finish pictures so I'll talk you through the beginning story.

It all began a fair number of years ago.  Probably back in about 2000 or so when I got brave and for the first time decided I'd try buying something off e-b-a-y.  It was the first time I'd used any sort of on line auction site and I was a bit nervous.  The purchase was a mongo size Herters target recurve.  Not sure of the model but it's about 72" long with a huge rizer of Brazilian rose wood and white glass.  About the size of something like a Bear Tamerlane.  It was supposed to be a bow for my wife to shoot.  When the day came and the UPS truck pulled into the drive, I was there to meet it.  The driver came out of the truck not with a tube or long skinny box but instead, a whimpy box bent into a perfect "V" shape!  Uh oh.... That's not good.

Well, turned out that there were several problems besides the obvious.  First, the box was really lame.  Just a single layer of cardboard and no packing of any kind.  Second, the bow had been drilled for an insert right in the skinniest part of the grip.  There was simply too much wood missing there.  The break started in the radius of the shelf and split down through the handle about 5 inches and followed the grain out one side.  Total breakage, useless bow.

The seller refunded my money and didn't ask for the bow back so I thought I'd glue it back together with some titebond and hang it on the wall.  I also made a walnut dowel and glued it into the spot that had been drilled for the insert.  Yea, I know I should have used epoxy but I went with what I had.  I wasn't really planning on shooting it at that time.  Then I got to thinking that after all, titebond is supposed to make a bond stronger than the wood isn't it?  Maybe I could shoot it after all????  After the glue was dry, I took it out and shot it a few times and at one point I heard some cracking noises so that was the end of that.  On the wall it went.

A short time later I was thinking of some sort of repair option I might try.  Since the riser was already glued, I couldn't do anything to improve the glue joint.  What else was there?  Then one day it hit me.  What if I could insert laminations INTO the riser perpendicular to the original break?  But how?

In the end, I clamped the bow to my table saw with the blade fully retracted.  Then I started the saw and cranked the blade up through the riser of the bow making a plunge cut longways in the riser cutting through from one side to the other side.  Next, I moved the bow over about a half inch and did it again then a third time and I was about out of room for cuts.  Now, I figured all I had to do was buy some laminations the thickness of my saw blade and draw the radius on them, cut them out and glue them in place!  Instant laminations.

Problem was getting laminations.  Getting off my but to finish wasn't too high on my list either.  Back on the wall it went for about 9 years.

A short time back, KennyM posted about some bows he was building and had a link to his website.  Since he is from here in MO same as me, I got to looking around and found that he makes and sells laminations for bow builders.  I contacted him with some questions and we pm'd back and forth a bit.  In the end, it was arranged that I'd go up to his place in north central MO and watch him glue up a bow and he'd take a look at my repair project to see what he thought.  That was this past Wednesday.  By the way, I gotta tell ya, Kenny sure seems like a real nice guy and he's got a real nice selection of woods for lams and a nice shop with all the cool machines to build them.  We measured my saw cuts for width and then hit the scrap bin for pieces I could use.  We settled on some canary wood for the contrast with the Brazilian rosewood and it was also going to match the yellowed finish on the white glass pretty well.  

Unfortunately, I forgot to take my camera so I don't have pictures but suffice to say we did like I said and drew the 5" radius to match the 10" saw blade and cut/sanded the pieces to fit and when Kenny mixed the smooth-on for his bow, he mixed a little extra for my repair and we did both one after the other.  We clamped up my bow and wrapped some plastic wrap around it so I could get it home without getting glue all over the car.  When I got home, I put the bow on top of a space heater and covered the riser and heater with two big bath towels.  This is the point where the pictures will start but I still have to load them.  Be back in a bit.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unorthodox bow "repair along" anyone???
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 03:30:00 AM »
Here is my improvised bow hotbox.  Just a space heater and some bath towels but I didn't want to heat the whole bow anyway so it worked well.

This is what it looked like when I took it off the heater.  

Note the improvised "clamp".  Just a couple pieces of wood and some screws but it worked.

Here are a couple unwrapped views.  Notice there was certainly no shortage of glue.      :rolleyes:      I'd always heard it was sharp like glass but on unwrapping the bow, I still promptly got a piece stuck in my thumb.  It shouldn't have gotten this messy but after gluing up Kenny's bow and then goobering glue on my little lam inserts and trying to get glue down in all the slots with a piece of stick it was getting all over my fingers so I just said the h&!! with it and kept going.

Here you can see the shape of the lams cut to match the saw blade radius.  

On this one, you can see where I had to plug the hole from the insert.  Why they ever put one there, I have no idea.

Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 03:39:00 AM »
After I got the splinter out, the next thing was to cut off some of the excess with a coping saw.

Then I got out my 4 in 1 rasp and went at it to knock off what the saw missed.

Here's the right side after rasping things down to about flush.

And then the left side.

Dave

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 03:44:00 AM »
That's as far as I've gotten.  Next will be the random orbital sander.  I also have to use a rat tail file to get the glue and the inserts ground off right down in the corner of the shelf.  I'll sand the entire riser and the edges of the limbs.  I'd like to leave the finish alone on the white glass but the back of the bow has quite a bit of glue on the glass that I should have wiped off while it was wet but didn't.  

I also plan to add some overlays of black walnut to the back of the bow that will cover the insert hole plug.  I'll post pics of the lam's I cut.  You're gonna drool on 'em.  Primo gunstock stuff!

But that will have to wait till tomorrow at the soonest.  Time for bed and stuff to do tomorrow before I go to work.
Dave

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »
What you going to call them? Bulla Points? Pretty slick!
Hap

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
Dave, that is a slick idea!

I'll be following this one for sure, good luck and thanks for posting this.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 07:46:00 AM »
Nice work, and very cool ingenuity!    :thumbsup:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
Dave had this all thought out prior to arrival and the saw cuts made,I thought it was slick!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
Nice work Dave, nice choice in beer too.    :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Oh!  Here it is!

Got up this morning and couldn't find the thread.  I was about to email one of the moderators but decided to check my own email first and I had a message that the topic had been moved to the bowyers forum.  All I could think at first was all the time loading pictures was wasted....

In looking at this, one little thing is nagging at me.  I'll have to look at the bow but I just realized that most of the insert material is up in the sight window but the actual break started at the shelf and went down into the handle area.  In making my cuts, I just threw the bow on the saw and lined it up parallel with the riser but I did the upper half, not the lower half that was broken.  Not sure how much reinforcement I actually have down where the break was.

I have to go to my youngest boys school now.  He got a little award for being nice and was allowed to invite someone to eat lunch with him there.  I'll get back at this later.
Dave

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 01:10:00 PM »
I'm looking forward to the rest of this one!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Okie dokie.

Back again with just a bit of time before I have to leave for work.  I broke out the sander and cleaned up the areas where the inlays are so I could see how good of a fit I got at the ends of the lams.  Since the freshly sanded wood was all dull, it was hard to tell so I dabbed just a little true oil on to make it stand out.

Here are a couple pics from both sides.  I'm pretty happy with the fit.  It's looking kinda cool.

Handle area.  My favorite part.  I like the way the contour distorts the line.

Right side of upper riser.

Left side.  If you notice, the canary wood has some red streaks in it.  Some places are pretty red and others bright yellow.  We were going to use osage but I knew that with time it would darken a lot.  The canary wood looks just like osage but will always stay yellow.

p.s.  I'm pretty sure that I got good coverage of lamination through the original break area.  I'll have to look again once I get it sanded and some clear on so I can see the original crack better.
Dave

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:22:00 PM »
Great idea Dave.  I guess necessity is the mother of invention as they say.  Its going to look great.  I love those old Herter's bows.

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
That looks real good Dave. A very unique and cool looking repair...  :thumbsup:

Offline TNstickn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
I think it looks cool. You could always flip it over and run it through handle first and make the cuts through the middle of the first couple. Maybe stopping short of the shelf for some more wave effect. Awesome repair idea ya got going!!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Pick a spot.>>>>-------> Shoot straight.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 12:03:00 AM »
Looks like an excellent fix , I like the canary wood contrast.  Next time, to save a lot of work, you could tape the entire handle with painters tape then cut out the slots before gluing the lams.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
"Next time, to save a lot of work, you could tape the entire handle with painters tape then cut out the slots before gluing the lams. "

:banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:
Dave

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
We've all heard of Pierce Points.

Bulla Biscuits!!!

Ya heard it here first! Looks cool Dave!  :saywhat:    :thumbsup:
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 03:03:00 AM »
Okay, just a little teaser...

Here's a pic of the piece of firewood I'm gonna use for my overlays.  Really, it WAS a piece of firewood!

Kinda purdy aint it?
Dave

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
Awesome work and fantastic idea!     :thumbsup:
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©