Author Topic: Bow froms  (Read 538 times)

Offline Tyler Langston

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow froms
« on: December 18, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
What kind of method do you guys use to clamp your bow to the forms? and which way works the best? How could I make one?

Offline Dwillo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow froms
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 12:08:00 AM »
Hey Tyler,

Assuming you want to build laminated bows you can check out Bingham Projects. They have everything you would need as well as DVD's that explain the whole process. Their instructions include form making and building the hot box used for curing the epoxy. They offer plans for several recurves and longbows. I am not an expert, nor very experienced-only built three bows so far, but I use the fire hose method. There are also many "build a longs" with great tutorials on this site. There are several sponsors selling lamination's here. I haven't tried them yet but hear great things about them.

Dan
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.

Henry David Thoreau

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 01:03:00 AM »
I think alot of these fellas use the bike tube forms.
 I will probably go that route when I make a laminated bow.
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
I have built bows using the bike tubes, clamps, and the air hose methods.  For me the air hose method is the easiest, fastest, and most consistent method for building laminated bows.  The bike tube method is the least expensive method and works, but has more room for error then the air hose method.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
Got wood? - Tom

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
I to have used both rubber band and firehose method, like the hose method better.   You can build your own hardware for the form,  and save some over buying from Binghams.

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
I do not remember where the idea came from, but my form is built from 1 1/2 x 1/4 inch metal strap. Use three pieces stacked on top of each other, and clamp them to your pattern (maybe over sections of pipe... suit yourself) then spot weld the edges together. Make a short (4-5 inch) frame to weld it onto, and use c-clamps all along the laminations. Work the clamps from riser out.

Just what works for me.
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Here is what I used and it worked.  Immediately after taking this picture I intended to put the form in my oven but decided that I should use some more filament tape -- I'm glad that I did too!  One of the innertubes broke (I pull them TIGHT) but it didn't slip because of the extra tape.

If you go this route DO NOT SKIMP on using a bunch of filament tape.  When you think that you have enough, wrap it in at least two more places  :)

Also, I am getting ready to buy some hose from Binghams for future bows.  Better safe than sorry.

IMG]http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab287/Pictures4scott/takedownlimbonform-1.jpg[/IMG]

Offline Scott F

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »

Didn't post the picture the first time, sorry.

Offline AKmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 02:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jmgcurve:
I do not remember where the idea came from, but my form is built from 1 1/2 x 1/4 inch metal strap. Use three pieces stacked on top of each other, and clamp them to your pattern (maybe over sections of pipe... suit yourself) then spot weld the edges together. Make a short (4-5 inch) frame to weld it onto, and use c-clamps all along the laminations. Work the clamps from riser out.

Just what works for me.
Oooohhh.....going to need a picture of this one!  Do you have any pics??  Sounds like my kind of form (not nearly enough welding projects these days!).

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Yea, I can get some pics. Post them tomorrow.

Offline V-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 06:47:00 AM »
I use this form with pressure hose.

"If you have the will to win you have achieved half your success; if you don't, you have achieved half your failure"

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
Rob, Here is some pics of the form. I did not clean it up very much, so ignore the mess. I use clamps about every 6 inches.

Offline Teagus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Hi Tyler,
 Thanks again for the link.
Here is some pics of my glue-up station. I have two vertical clamps to hold my forms.

Inside the base I have slide outs for lams,tapers,glass,limb patterns,pressure strips etc. In the front is storage for four forms.Also a air regulator. My compressor is on the other end of the shop near my spray booth.

After I butter the riser and place it on the lams, I throw a bar on the riser with two bolts that thread into two brackets on the form bottom and crank the bolts down to hold the riser in place.

Next I add the tapers and glass. The strapping tape goes on easy as the form is up in the air. After final plastic film I add pressure strips, hose and form top.The hose goes right over the bar.

This really frees up your hands. Having a MIG to make the metal brackets help. Never enough welding projects! Inflate and bake!

Mike W.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©