Author Topic: Question about my stave  (Read 407 times)

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
Question about my stave
« on: December 20, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I cut some osage back in the summer and finally started chasing the ring on the best looking stave of the bunch.
I'm down to the chosen ring about half way out on the stave, BUT I've found some vertical brownish cracks in it.  I don't know how they will fall on the layout.
I'm assuming these are cracks from wind and twisting as the tree was growing.
My question is, should I just leave them and work with them, try going down another ring and see if they disappear, or go to another stave?
My main concern is one running off the edge which would spell disaster.  I can't go too much deeper or I will be in danger of losing enough depth for the handle.
Formerly known as PastorHunter.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question about my stave
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Are they with the grain? Across - at right angles?awge

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
They run vertical with the grain.  I think I can lay the bow up without having one run off the edge.  Of course, at this point I've only chased the ring on a little over half the stave.  Who knows what lies beneath on the other half.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
Do you think they are drying cracks?  How long did it take to get to this point? Has it been more than the day? The stave could be wet. If yes then you should coat the back with poly between sessions. Jawge

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
Hard to say without looking but I think I've seen what you described. Usualy you can go down another ring or 3 and it will disapear. Worth trying if you got enough wood on the stave.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline TroyH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
I think the stave has dried plenty, so I don't think they are from drying. I may try going down a little and see if they disappear.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Chase the rest of the ring - you are going to have to eventually anyway and its much easier to take off one more single ring than to chase through several like you are doing now. Once you have the entire back chased, pencil out a layout and see where you are. Ideally you will be following the grain and the cracks will not run off unless they are near the tapering tips. If you don't like the look of it, then chase down one ring and try again.

Most lengthwise cracks will fill with thin super glue and be no problem.

Offline dan rothrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 11:28:00 PM »
Seems like most of the staves I've tied into have that darker line running with the grain.  I believe it is nothing more than deteriation of the wood as a result of moisture.  I never had a problem with it other than the deeper you go the more pronounced it gets, in my case anyways. I have no doubt it can be corrected with "C" glue if it goes as far as the nock area.
rock

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
Sounds like wind shakes. As you said, from the wind and twisting as it grows. I have seen smaller cracks extend beyond the visible crack and not show up until the bow was stressed. I have also made bows with similar cracks that shot well with no ill effects.   Super glue the cracks and you may see the smaller crack extensions with the glue applied. I would try it! I'd bet you will pay closer attention to this stave than you would with a "perfect" one. d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
I had one with red lines. I thought they were mineral streaks. Jawge

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©