Author Topic: i may have made a boo boo !  (Read 317 times)

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
i may have made a boo boo !
« on: December 21, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
well first off mostly by not knowing what i was doing i did my final glue up on my hickery ipe boo backed bow and not having any instructions a failed to thin the boo down any at all  so let me try to explain the thickness starting from the tip and going twards thr handle section at the tip the boo is right at 3/16 the ipe is right at 1/8 and the hickery is 1/4 inch thick.
28 inches from the tip or right at the fades the boo is 3/16 the ipe 1/8 and the hickery is 1/2 inch .
did i make a boo boo or will this bow tiller out or am i going to havve the belly wood to thin and most likly break by the time i get it tillered .  :pray:    :pray:  

it was a kit i purchaced and is only tip to tip 64 inches long 1.5 inches wide at handle to 1/2 inch tips for now have not rounded anything or begun to tiller  just rethinking  and hoping i didn't mess up guess i could thin the width of the bow if need be
i am shooting for around a 45-50 lb draw at 28- 29 inches .

thanks you guys have been lots of help in the past,

Scott

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: i may have made a boo boo !
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
You will probably have to trap(trapezoidal cross section) the boo backing to relieve some on it's tension in this bow.  You could probably go 1 1/4" at the fades to 1/2" at the tips(for now). Trap the boo backing so there is 1" of rind down the center of the back and have the limbs bend right to the handle. If you find the belly wood getting thin continue tillering  by reducing the width of the limbs and not the belly.
   Leave the handle as is for now and the tips. May need to make adjustments for string alignment later.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©