Author Topic: selfwood recurve help  (Read 411 times)

Offline Muleman027

• Trad Bowhunter
selfwood recurve help
« on: December 23, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
I've built a few board bows greatly from the help of 4est,and sulphur(thanks guys your awesome)but now i want to try a boardbow recurve but need some advise (what to buy everything locally)what type of wood,how long of riser,how wide,heres what i want 40-45lbs @ 26" 56"-58"ntn,a working limb,plan on using steam to bend the limbs but open to ideas and suggestions i thank-you for your help.Mule

Offline briarjumper12

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: selfwood recurve help
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
I too would be interested in a selfwood recurve.  I have pignut hickory to work with.  Would love to recurve one.  I will be watching this thread with interest.
Blessed be the Lord my strength; which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
I've never built a board recurve but have built a few stave bows that are recurved. The bow in my avatar is 60" osage and draws 56#@26". I traded that bow but believe it is 1 1/2" most of the way out the limbs then narrowing to 3/8" at the tips.
  Hickory would be a good choice for a board recurve. Generally hickory bends better with steam but be sure the grain is perfect and be sure the curved area is well supported with a metal band as you bend to help prevent splintering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Muleman027

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
i forgot to ask should i back it and with what

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
It will depend on the board. With the right board there is no need to back it although a backing of rawhide, silk or linen would be good insurance. You could add a hickory backing(even on a hickory board) but you would probably have to pre-bend both the backing and belly before glue-up.
  Another method of recurving would be to cut a kerf, horizontally into the tip for about 6" to 8", add a spline that fits the kerf and bend then cold at glue-up. I have seen bows done like this but haven't done it myself.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »
Pat:  Can you elaborate on that technique a bit?  It's sounds interesting, but I'm not familiar with it.  Do you have any links/pictures?  Thanks!
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
The kerfed and splined tips?  No I don't. Someone on Primitive Archer had one a year or so ago. Might have been Justin Snyder but I don't remember for sure.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bruce Martin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
Dean Torges' great video on Hunting the Bamboo Backed Bow shows a form for recurving and his methiod of kerfing the tips for recurving with a spline added. He does not describe prebending the bamboo. I did one with a heat gun by prebending the tips, then glueing in the bamboo and it worked great. Although my recurves are not pronounced and in fact might be described more as a longbow as the string barely touches at brace. The bow is spliced osage boards that are quarter-sawn and very clear with no pin knots.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
It's a pretty straight forward operation 4est. Just rip your tips (edgewise) on a band saw for about 8" os so. You can add a spline if you like or simply fill the cut with glue/epoxy and clamp shut in a suitable form. As bruce mentioned, you're not going to get a great pronounced curve with a cold glue-up. But doing a little heating before hand will allow for a little more bend.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©