3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Installing points  (Read 170 times)

Offline nparks

• Trad Bowhunter
Installing points
« on: February 10, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »
I'm having a lot of trouble installing my 23/64 125 grain field points on my shafts. For some reason, no matter what I do with the taper, I can't seem to get them on straight. I've always thought that field points at least, should just naturally go straight on if your taper is right? I've adjusted the tapering tool (tru-center taper tool) all that I can and it just won't do it. What kind of techniques do you guys use to get good alignment with broadheads and field points?
-One shot one kill

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Installing points
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 05:02:00 PM »
Hmmmm....If You have a Disk/Belt Sander, make Yourself a Jig That Will Give you the True Tapers that You need. Just My Input though!
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
What, exactly, is happening when you mount them?  Are you turning the shaft into the point to spread the glue? How are you doing it?
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 09:09:00 PM »
The taper tool probably isn't giving you a good taper.  What are you adjusting on it?  As far as I know, they don't have any adjustments.  The blade is just held in place with two screws.  If your tapered point has some play in it while it's still in the jig, you're not getting a true cut.  Make or buy a jig and a sanding disk.  In the long run, it will be worth it.  Another possibility is that you might be using too much glue and it's hardening before you get the point seated properly.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
Nicholas... If indeed your taper is accurate it may be that they are too long for the depth of the field point's taper.

Try nipping off an 1/8" of the end of the shaft taper.

Make sure the field point is pretty hot and when you put it on the end of the shaft, turn it several revolutions before quenching in cold water... it should be hot enough to melt the hot melt glue VERY easilly.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline nparks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
thanks for the ideas guys..I've finally got it working well. I had to play with the depth pin a lot on the tru-center tool as well as just doing light sanding afterwards. I guess the blades are dull as well and it's just not doing as clean of a job as I'd hope.
-One shot one kill

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©